PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Drinking

Ari707
2005-10-24, 02:44 PM
MIAMI - A United Airlines pilot was removed from the cockpit and questioned by police after security screeners at Miami International Airport reported smelling alcohol, police said.

The pilot was not arrested and no breath test was done, but the airline suspended him pending an internal investigation. The Federal Aviation Administration is also investigating.

“United’s alcohol policy is among the strictest in the industry and we have absolutely no tolerance for abuse or violation of this well-established policy,” airline spokeswoman Robin Urbanski said.

Story continues below ↓
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
advertisement
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Three years ago at the same airport, two America West pilots were arrested after screeners smelled alcohol on their breath before they boarding a plane. Both pilots were fired by America West and are now serving prison sentences.

Suspicious odor
The pilot in Sunday’s incident was boarding Flight 1404 to Washington when Transportation Security Administration screeners thought they smelled alcohol and alerted police, said FAA spokeswoman Kathleen Bergen.

“The officer noticed what appeared to be an odor of an alcoholic beverage coming from the pilot and requested that he exit the aircraft,” Miami-Dade Police Detective Del Castillo said.

The pilot was questioned in the jetway, but no breath tests were conducted, Del Castillo said.

The flight had been scheduled to leave at 9 a.m. with 76 passengers. According to United’s Web site, it took of at 3:40 p.m. after a crew change.

moose135
2005-10-24, 07:47 PM
The old Air Force policy was:

No smoking 8 hours before flight
No drinking within 50 feet of the aircraft

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

K9DEP
2005-10-26, 08:53 PM
I don't know how the security screeners noticed that because when we me and my bro were going to Istanbul last summer from JFK two Austrian airlines pilots cut right in front of us on the carry-on baggage check area in terminal 1 and no one even checked them they just put their flight bag through the machine and walked away.