PDA

View Full Version : Southwest to serve DEN.

Alex T
2005-10-20, 08:35 AM
DALLAS, Oct. 20 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Southwest Airlines (NYSE: LUV),
the nation's low-fare leader, announced today it will initiate service from
Denver International Airport beginning in early 2006. The airline will
announce specifics of its flight schedule and fares via a news conference in
Denver next week.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zht ... highlight= (http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=92562&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=770391&highlight=)

USAF Pilot 07
2005-10-20, 01:06 PM
Can't wait for them to come up here!

Too bad, they don't serve NYC. This won't help at all on the DEN-NYC market, because of this, and as fares are already pretty cheap, so flying to ISP isn't going to save anyone much...

But, this will help for many of the currently overpriced routes out of Denver!

T-Bird76
2005-10-20, 01:49 PM
Remember you can fly ATA from LGA through MDW and codeshare with WN to DEN if ATA drops DEN.

Alex T
2005-10-20, 02:03 PM
Remember you can fly ATA from LGA through MDW and codeshare with WN to DEN if ATA drops DEN.

Tommy- good point. however as of now..assuming WN and ATA keep MDW-DEN will there still be a codeshare? or will that route be dropped? Possibly the same day WN starts MDW-DEN, ATA will drop theirs. I can't understand why ATA is agreeing to dropping cities, it is making it worse for ATA to survive, unless WN is planning to buy ATA as a whole? (which is a whole nother topic for another time and place. )

Alex

IslipWN
2005-10-20, 07:22 PM
I bet one of the first routes will be ISP-DEN.

USAF Pilot 07
2005-10-20, 09:11 PM

That wouldn't surprise me... On a lot of the DEN-NYC and NYC-DEN flights I've been on, I've spoken to a lot of people from the island, or overhead them talking about living on the island. If WN can come in and offer cheap fares, I bet they'd fill at least one or two flights a day.

IslipWN
2005-10-20, 09:15 PM

That wouldn't surprise me... On a lot of the DEN-NYC and NYC-DEN flights I've been on, I've spoken to a lot of people from the island, or overhead them talking about living on the island. If WN can come in and offer cheap fares, I bet they'd fill at least one or two flights a day.

And it would be great for the winter when people fly out west to go skiing and snowboarding.

T-Bird76
2005-10-20, 09:19 PM
I don't think you'll see ISP-DEN as one of the first routes. The east west traffic on WN from ISP doesn't warrant another western city.

IslipWN
2005-10-20, 09:20 PM
I don't think you'll see ISP-DEN as one of the first routes. The east west traffic on WN from ISP doesn't warrant another western city.

THanks fror ruining my hopes and dreams.

T-Bird76
2005-10-20, 09:25 PM

THanks fror ruining my hopes and dreams.

Its just reality right now there's a number of issues that would affect WN starting another western route from ISP. First as I mentioned the traffic doesn't warrant another western city and the current gate space at ISP won't allow for another morning departure. The gate space issue is one reason they are putting on four more gates. It won't shock me to see DEN coming online out of ISP in the future but for start up I think the big cities will see DEN such as BWI, MDW, BNA, LAS, LAX, other western cities and perhaps some Florida cities.

Alex T
2005-10-20, 09:37 PM
One can expect, BWI, MDW, MCO, MCI, SLC, PHX, ABQ, LAX, all to be added in the first round.

2nd round will be HOU, OMA, STL, OKC (maybe)

Southwest will want to interconnect short range flights cities, then have it linked by connecting opportunities.

Alex

IslipWN
2005-10-20, 09:44 PM
I dont think MCI and SLC.

Alex T
2005-10-20, 09:48 PM
I dont think MCI and SLC.

SLC provides perfect west connections from DEN, that otherwise cannot be supported non-stop.

MCI provides perfect east connections, for the same reasons. any flight to DEN from the easts ide that cannot support DEN n/s will go through MCI, and same for flights to DEN from the west that cannot be supported n/s will be funnelled through SLC.

Alex

IslipWN
2005-10-20, 10:22 PM
MCI provides perfect east connections, for the same reasons. any flight to DEN from the easts ide that cannot support DEN n/s will go through MCI, and same for flights to DEN from the west that cannot be supported n/s will be funnelled through SLC.

Alex

Thats why they have BWI as a hub.

Alex T
2005-10-20, 10:54 PM

Alex

Thats why they have BWI as a hub.

What I am reffering to is the midwest cities and south cities that want to fly to DEN, but cannot support n/s flights. So MCI would be a great connecting airport to DEN. if I was in STL, I would not fly STL-BWI-DEN. it is out of the way. But STL-MCI-DEN is more likeable. This is what I mean by east connections into DEN.
Alex

IslipWN
2005-10-20, 11:48 PM
What about STL-LAS-DEN??

Alex T
2005-10-21, 12:19 AM
What about STL-LAS-DEN??

To connect in LAS or just fly thru as a stop over in LAS?
Alex