PDA

View Full Version : Crab It Like You Meant It!

Mr Smith
2005-10-15, 03:14 AM
check this amazing video out of the 777 and the 74L being tested in crosswind conditions...i'm suprised that the gear on the 3rd landing didn't shear clean off!

http://www.linhadafrente.net/bin/Pousos.wmv

IslipWN
2005-10-15, 10:24 AM
i was thinking that same thing during the 3rd landing. and man, the 777 is an awesome plane!

Thanks!!

PhilDernerJr
2005-10-15, 10:25 AM
One of the better videos I've ever seen. I wish more were set to music.

Thanks for posting that, Monty. :)

T-Bird76
2005-10-15, 11:27 AM
Monty that was great post! Thank you for sharing that. Music seemed right for the video to.

FlyingColors
2005-10-15, 01:47 PM
Hey Monty!
thanks pal!

U guys should check out:

airsidetv.com

lots of great stuff too!
Mike

cancidas
2005-10-15, 11:06 PM
WOW!! good work boeing.

though, the way i see it is that the second and third landings were made and did not damage the gear due to the fact that the majority of the weight of the airplane was still resting on the wings and not the gear. also, you don't know is that airlplane was weighed down as it would be on a revenue flights. if it's lighter than that definately helps. i wonder if that kind of a landing is what boeing considers "SOP."

Matt Molnar
2005-10-16, 04:18 AM
i wonder if that kind of a landing is what boeing considers "SOP."

Good question. I can't imagine any sane airline doing that unless it was an out of fuel last ditch do or die situation.

Clovis
2005-10-16, 06:14 PM
i wonder if that kind of a landing is what boeing considers "SOP."

Good question. I can't imagine any sane airline doing that unless it was an out of fuel last ditch do or die situation.

It depends on the max crosswind component defined by the airline (or, in absence of the latter, Boeing) I cant seem to find the data through google though. Email sent to my buddy 772 f/o.

cancidas
2005-10-17, 07:23 PM
also, notice one more thing. the airplane is not very heavily fueled, another fact that attributd to a light weight. i'm sure, especially now after speaking to a few mechs, that if that was done at a typical landing weight for the airplane the gears would have probably sheared off..

Clipper
2005-10-18, 02:02 AM
also, notice one more thing. the airplane is not very heavily fueled, another fact that attributd to a light weight. i'm sure, especially now after speaking to a few mechs, that if that was done at a typical landing weight for the airplane the gears would have probably sheared off..

Not sure how much cross wind were those done in, I think FAR21 cert requires transport aircraft to have a minimum of 30 knots crosswind component landing capability with the certified max landing weight. These gear can take a beating, some of the commercial flights I have been on feels rougher than the videos.

cancidas
2005-10-18, 11:05 AM
clipper, the max certified crosswind component is not in place for you to land the airplane sideways. normally, pilots will roll wing-low to straighten out the airplane on the final approach course so that they don't land sideways. yes, crabbing works to get you to the runway but you're not supposed to land like that.