PDA

View Full Version : Airlines vs. Acela Express in the Northeast Corridor

expressjet145
2005-10-12, 11:43 PM
I am doing a compare and contrast essay for Friday on a mode of transportation to the "big apple".

My topic will focus on the similarities and differences / pros and cons for AIRLINE travel in the Northeast (i.e. .BOS/DCA/PHL/BWI to NYC in general wether its EWR JFK or LGA, as opposed to ACELA EXPRESS via AMTRAK in the Northeast Corridor to New York City via Penn Station). This is a big topic now a days as B6 launched E190 service BOS-JFK and Eagle has BOS-JFK service now too. BixEx used to.

I want your opion, as far as have you traveled to NYC via those major cities listed above, how about amtrak? Also was it for business or pleasure. Finally, may I include you as a source for "interview" 8) . Thanks.

Don'cha love college...

Thanks guys,

fly.mcs
2005-10-13, 12:50 PM
I have not taken Amtrak, but I'm scheduled to fly Delta Shuttle to DCA next week.
When booking my flight, it was cheaper than taking the train.
Also, if I would've taken Indy Air, it would've been A LOT more cheaper.
For me, it would all depends on price, so I wouldn't mind taking the train.

IslipWN
2005-10-13, 03:43 PM
I do both when coming into and leave NYC, but flying is a large majority of it. And most of the time is is for pleasure.

and yes you may include me as a source.

T-Bird76
2005-10-13, 07:21 PM
I travel to New York city in my 2005 Nissan Altima or the Long Island Rail Road.

RDU-JFK
2005-10-13, 08:02 PM
I've taken Amtrak and the Delta/US Airways shuttle to Washington, DC. I'm obviously biased cause I love flying, but the Shuttle seems more convenient. Prices were more expensive when I've flown on the Shuttle, but I think they've fallen a lot since then. As much of a pain it is to get to LGA, it really isn't that bad. Big deal, you can take the subway to Penn Station. That takes awhile if you're from Brooklyn, so ya might as well go to LGA. Also, the Metro connections are so easy at DCA! Service has been excellent, and the flight is so short. Sure it takes time to get to LGA, but that time is a fraction of what it takes to take the train, even the Acela. Ask me any questions about my experience and feel free to quote.

expressjet145
2005-10-13, 08:47 PM
I've taken Amtrak and the Delta/US Airways shuttle to Washington, DC. I'm obviously biased cause I love flying, but the Shuttle seems more convenient. Prices were more expensive when I've flown on the Shuttle, but I think they've fallen a lot since then. As much of a pain it is to get to LGA, it really isn't that bad. Big deal, you can take the subway to Penn Station. That takes awhile if you're from Brooklyn, so ya might as well go to LGA. Also, the Metro connections are so easy at DCA! Service has been excellent, and the flight is so short. Sure it takes time to get to LGA, but that time is a fraction of what it takes to take the train, even the Acela. Ask me any questions about my experience and feel free to quote.

You are now in my essay 8) .

RDU-JFK
2005-10-13, 10:12 PM
sweeeeeeeeeeet 8)