PDA

View Full Version : most of you have.

777heavy
2005-10-02, 01:21 PM
Most of you have been stoped by police before.
I almost did but luckly they didn't.
But if one of the cops stop me while i am stopping is there anyhting a can say as a rebuttle?
Is there any proff i can give him that spotting is legal?

Iberia A340-600
2005-10-02, 01:36 PM
You could say that they should be using spotters to report back to the cops if they see anything suspicious around the airport because we no best!

PhilDernerJr
2005-10-02, 02:12 PM
They are police, there shouldn't be any rebuttals. Do what they say, and if you feel their demands are over the line, then report the incident afterwards.

Fighting and resisting only make it more difficult for yourself and create a poor reputation for all of us spotters.

777heavy
2005-10-02, 02:41 PM
So if they tell me spotting is illegal i just just aagree w/ them?

PhilDernerJr
2005-10-02, 03:23 PM
Well, you have to comply with them if they tell you to leave, unless you feel like getting arrested.

But if they say it's illegal (which I've encoutered), I'd personally say "With all due respect officer, this is something that a lot of people do, and it's not illegal," in a very nice tone. If his/her tone gets worse, offer to leave the area.

It's not worth getting arrested over.

Then post it in the Spotter Blotter.

777heavy
2005-10-02, 03:36 PM
Phil where do you normal spot at?
But is there any type of physical prof that i can show them to prove thats its note illegal?

PhilDernerJr
2005-10-02, 03:56 PM
Phil where do you normal spot at?
But is there any type of physical prof that i can show them to prove thats its note illegal?

The places I go to are onthe LGa Spotting page under "Tools" and "Spotting Maps".

I show police magazines that have my published work. That's about the best you could do. Not much else you cna do.

You should just make sure you carry your ID. Bad incidents don't happen that often, adn when they do, they usually doesn't get that bad.

NIKV69
2005-10-02, 07:21 PM
I am of the opinion of standing my ground. I have never been hassled at JFK or anywhere else for that matter except for ISP. I stood my ground and told the officer that what I was doing was not illegal like she was telling me. This angered her but I then dropped my cousins name who is a high ranking person with SCPD. I then went through them running me through the usual **** of checking my record, walking around my car and all that ****. Then after they realized there was nothing they could do I got the ol Gestapo threats about my car having illegal tint and no front plate. Like I was supposed to be scared. Screw them. As Matt Celmer once said. "We are doing nothing wrong"

Take pictures and stand your ground!

PhilDernerJr
2005-10-02, 08:15 PM
Nick was lucky that he had a name to drop. Most of us don't have those tools and resources.

I've been detained twice. I was let out, never had handcuffs on me. Had I been resistant, I might have a criminal record, or some small blemish on it.

Cooperate. It might not always work well, but in the end, you'll come out the better, and free, person.

NIKV69
2005-10-02, 08:31 PM
Phil..

I don't understand why you would have cuffs put on you or have a record if you have done nothing wrong? :?:

Matt Molnar
2005-10-02, 08:44 PM
I think what Phil is saying is unless you are a true activist who doesn't mind trips to jail and massive legal bills, it's not worth it to get your life ****ed up fighting with The Man over a hobby, even if you are right. They might not be able to charge you with a crime specifically for taking photos, but if you happen to encounter a particularly hard ass cop and you give him a hard time, it's a definite possibility that he'll go out of his way to make sure you end up wearing bracelets and ruin your day.

NIKV69
2005-10-02, 11:39 PM
I still don't understand how you can get arrested for doing nothing wrong. I don't care what a cops attitude is. I can not be arrested for doing nothing wrong. If I get hassled I will stand my ground. It's all about intimidation, and I refuse to be intimidated.

Jonesbeach
2005-10-03, 07:21 AM
The police always have laws that allow them to arrest you for just about anything. You know dinky laws with little or no real definition, ie crimnal mischief. If they want to arrest you they will.

If you get pulled over for speeding and start mouthing off, you nd up with a whole bunch more tickets than just the speeding ticket. I agree that you stand your ground but don't get arrested in the process.

NIKV69
2005-10-03, 08:14 AM
Let them arrest me! There is no jail that can hold me! Senga will bust me out!

T-Bird76
2005-10-03, 11:40 AM
The point is to simply act professionally and answer their questions in a respectful manner. If for some reason you feel you are being treated unfair you can always ask the Officer to call his scene commander, 9 out of 10 times the situation will resolve itself with that request unless he knows for sure he can get you on something. Generally Officers don't like calling a commander if nothing is wrong, he'll have some explaining to do afterward to his boss.

Again there are plenty of ways to avoid being stopped. Spot in groups, there are power in numbers, don't look like your up to something, hiding in your car or hiding in general isn't very smart, and make eye contact and smile to people as they go by.