PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know of a good flight school at FRG?

Nycfly75
2005-09-26, 04:34 PM
Please let me know.. I would like to get my PPL this fall.

Vin

Nycfly75
2005-09-26, 04:34 PM
Please let me know.. I would like to get my PPL this fall.

Vin

K9DEP
2005-09-26, 06:30 PM
me and my brother klm777 (jon) goto to Nassau Flyers for our flight lessons and it's nice because it has good prices and alot of aircraft. And just for the hours to get your PPL which is 40 your looking at about $8000 and that doesn't include the fee you get to fly with an Instructor, which is necessary for about 50% of the time but the best thing todo is to get your third class medical certificate and when you come here you can remain in the Republic traffic pattern and get alot of hours that way on the weekend or weekday after work. That price may seem like alot but when you divide it about 1-2 hours a week you can see it's not that bad of a deal. I post a website and give you prices.

Nassau Flyers- http://www.flynfi.com/

K9DEP
2005-09-26, 06:30 PM
me and my brother klm777 (jon) goto to Nassau Flyers for our flight lessons and it's nice because it has good prices and alot of aircraft. And just for the hours to get your PPL which is 40 your looking at about $8000 and that doesn't include the fee you get to fly with an Instructor, which is necessary for about 50% of the time but the best thing todo is to get your third class medical certificate and when you come here you can remain in the Republic traffic pattern and get alot of hours that way on the weekend or weekday after work. That price may seem like alot but when you divide it about 1-2 hours a week you can see it's not that bad of a deal. I post a website and give you prices.

Nassau Flyers- http://www.flynfi.com/

Nycfly75
2005-09-26, 10:01 PM
Thanks! I'll take a look at it...

Nycfly75
2005-09-26, 10:01 PM
Thanks! I'll take a look at it...

cancidas
2005-09-27, 01:03 PM
i flew with NFI for the longest, and liked thier selection of a/c. my favorites from thier fleet were 6468F and 5241U. 68F is a monster and about 8 kts faster than any other 172 in thier fleet. 41U is a nice comfotable cutlass to fly, though people have repeatedly belly landed it unfortunately. i haven't been out there in a little while and need to get back in the saddle and get my ass current again, though co-owning an A36 bonanza kind keeps me from bothering with thier fleet anymore.
NFI's prices have been on the rise slowly, partly due to increased insurance costs after two (now 3) of thier airplanes have been crashed. one i remember was a total write-off, the other two were repaired and are once again flying. now with the 8270M crash they might just raise prices again. also, gas prices have been on the rise which contributes mysteriously to thier prices.

select is a school to stay away from, that is if they still operate. CTL is another issue, haven't heard anything good about them. there is one other operator on the south side of the field, near E ramp. can't remember the name though. perhaps they would be something worth looking into.

there are a few other problems with flying at FRG. firstly, traffic can be a mess at times. i don't think there is a radar in the tower at FRG, at least i remember there not being any (or it wasn't working for a while.) since it's a big training airport you get a lot of inexperienced pilots up there, some not knowing thier ass from thier elbow and yet other who can't even speak the english language. (can't understand how tower understood this guy i remmebr from select.) on weekends when all the weekend warriors come out they get in thier airplanes and clog up the taxiways waiting for TO clearances. when you get 8 or 9 airplanes in downwind requesting touch-and-goes you can expect delays that are comparable to LGA on a friday night. most controllers there are more concerned with extreme safety and not so much concerned with efficency. i honestly remember sitting there and being #18 for the runway. there were still other times that i was about 11 or 12 for the field when i called the tower. downwinds tend to extend to the shorelines on weekends, tower likes to call your base turns when they're busy. there are options to get back in there though. you can always leave the airspace, pick up an IFR clearance and get in before the VFR traffic. then you'll even get to shoot an ILS while you're at it.

if you need more explanation drop me a PM.

cancidas
2005-09-27, 01:03 PM
i flew with NFI for the longest, and liked thier selection of a/c. my favorites from thier fleet were 6468F and 5241U. 68F is a monster and about 8 kts faster than any other 172 in thier fleet. 41U is a nice comfotable cutlass to fly, though people have repeatedly belly landed it unfortunately. i haven't been out there in a little while and need to get back in the saddle and get my ass current again, though co-owning an A36 bonanza kind keeps me from bothering with thier fleet anymore.
NFI's prices have been on the rise slowly, partly due to increased insurance costs after two (now 3) of thier airplanes have been crashed. one i remember was a total write-off, the other two were repaired and are once again flying. now with the 8270M crash they might just raise prices again. also, gas prices have been on the rise which contributes mysteriously to thier prices.

select is a school to stay away from, that is if they still operate. CTL is another issue, haven't heard anything good about them. there is one other operator on the south side of the field, near E ramp. can't remember the name though. perhaps they would be something worth looking into.

there are a few other problems with flying at FRG. firstly, traffic can be a mess at times. i don't think there is a radar in the tower at FRG, at least i remember there not being any (or it wasn't working for a while.) since it's a big training airport you get a lot of inexperienced pilots up there, some not knowing thier ass from thier elbow and yet other who can't even speak the english language. (can't understand how tower understood this guy i remmebr from select.) on weekends when all the weekend warriors come out they get in thier airplanes and clog up the taxiways waiting for TO clearances. when you get 8 or 9 airplanes in downwind requesting touch-and-goes you can expect delays that are comparable to LGA on a friday night. most controllers there are more concerned with extreme safety and not so much concerned with efficency. i honestly remember sitting there and being #18 for the runway. there were still other times that i was about 11 or 12 for the field when i called the tower. downwinds tend to extend to the shorelines on weekends, tower likes to call your base turns when they're busy. there are options to get back in there though. you can always leave the airspace, pick up an IFR clearance and get in before the VFR traffic. then you'll even get to shoot an ILS while you're at it.

if you need more explanation drop me a PM.

Nycfly75
2005-09-27, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the info and advice! Enjoy your trip!

Nycfly75
2005-09-27, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the info and advice! Enjoy your trip!