PDA

View Full Version : LGA - Sept 2 through Sept 5

Steve Kurtz
2005-08-28, 12:15 AM
My son and I will be staying at a hotel across from LGA from Sept 2 through Sept 5 while watching the US Open tennis tournament.

I'll be trying to do some planespotting on Saturday, Sunday and Monday mornings.

I'm particularly interested in catching the new US Airways livery (I've seen some of your great photos!), a US Airways E170, and (I think) the new Air Canada E175.

Any general info on LGA spotting will be appreciated. Any specific information on the above aircraft will be particularly helpful. Also, where is the 'bridge' I've seen referred to on the nycaviation web site?

If any of you regular NYC guys will be spotting on those days, let me know!

Thanks,
Steve

PhilDernerJr
2005-08-28, 12:24 AM
Hi Steve,

Welcome to the site.

The US E-170 will start on September 4, so you should get to see it towards the end of your trip. The Air Canada E-175 is a regular flight that I'm sure you'll see. However, the US Airways special colors was a special visitor, and your chances of catching it are somewhat slim.

The bridge location is a pedestrian overpass above the Grand Central Parkway. Use this map to see it. It's point B.

http://anniebees.com/Photos/SpottingLGA.htm

As for that weekend, several of us do plan to be out there that weekend, weather permitting. Keep an eye on this thread throughout the week, and I'm sure our plans will solidify. :)

-Phil

T-Bird76
2005-08-29, 12:07 PM
Weather permitting I'm planning on going out this Labor Day weekend with an early start on Sat and Sun. It will be my first time spotting with my new lens so I'm pretty excited! Hope to see lots of people out this weekend.

cancidas
2005-08-29, 10:21 PM
wish i could be out there but once again i'll be stuck at work all day sunday. i'm one of two people certified to train personnel on the EMB-170 and our jetways, the only one on the night shift, so i have my work cut out for me for the next week.

PhilDernerJr
2005-09-01, 02:21 AM
I just looked at the forecast, and it calls for sun. I then checked dew points...and it seems like not only will it be sunny, but more importantly, it seems like it will be clear!!

I'll be out as much as I can this weekend. I haven't gone spotting on a weekend in a while.

Anyone who needs to, feel free to call me at any point this weekend. If the sun is up and the skies are clear, call me. PM me for my number.

jakbar
2005-09-02, 12:47 PM
Any prediction on the winds for the weekend? Will we get lucky and have LGA using 04 for arrivals?

Futterman
2005-09-02, 01:24 PM
I believe winds are forcasted as coming from the NW, so it leaves the 04s and 31s at both airports open for action. I'd love to get some Expressway Visuals at LGA...I haven't been to the marina in such a friggin long time (not missing the spot, just the action :)).

moose135
2005-09-02, 01:24 PM
Any prediction on the winds for the weekend? Will we get lucky and have LGA using 04 for arrivals?

weather.com is calling for NW winds for Saturday & Sunday and NE on Monday at LGA. We may get 04 arrivals on Monday.

PhilDernerJr
2005-09-02, 01:55 PM
NW winds suck. We will probably get 31 deps and 22 arrivals then, right?

Futterman
2005-09-02, 02:06 PM
No, Phil...wind forecasts indicate what direction the winds will be coming from, so NW winds come from the NW. 22 arrivals face south, so they'd be landing with a tailwind, which, you try not to do.

Like I said, I'd bet on the 04s and/or 31s at JFK and LGA.

T-Bird76
2005-09-02, 02:17 PM
or 31s at JFK Do I hear Burger King Parking Lot?? that was so much better then Costco!

Futterman
2005-09-02, 02:39 PM
Right you are, Tommy, but it's best at sunset...early in the morning, the light is just about on the wrong side (even though the spot is more or less head-on).

When we do pull in, though, I wonder if we'll see another pirate...

T-Bird76
2005-09-02, 03:02 PM
When we do pull in, though, I wonder if we'll see another pirate...

I'm sure we will Brian I'm sure we will. lol :lol:

PhilDernerJr
2005-09-02, 04:00 PM
No, Phil...wind forecasts indicate what direction the winds will be coming from, so NW winds come from the NW. 22 arrivals face south, so they'd be landing with a tailwind, which, you try not to do.

Like I said, I'd bet on the 04s and/or 31s at JFK and LGA.

I thought wind had priority for departing traffic, not landing. I understood that they wanted aircraft to depart into the wind, which is why aircraft carriers go into the wind.

jakbar
2005-09-02, 04:06 PM
Phil, on an aircraft carrier, both landings and departures go into the wind, don't they?

LGA777
2005-09-02, 04:08 PM
At LGA 13-31 is scheduled to be closed all day Saturday until 0600L on Sunday morning.

LGA777

jakbar
2005-09-02, 04:11 PM
Ron, is that because of the arrestor bed construction? I checked the "official" schedule for 13/31 closures, and this weekend isn't one of the weekends that it is scheduled to be closed. I am sure, however, that your information is much more reliable than a months-old PDF on the internet. :)

LGA777
2005-09-02, 04:25 PM
Josh, my info is from a NOTAM that was issued by Port Ops and faxed to my office, does not have a construction reason, just dates and times. There are currently multiple construction programs on going on 13-31 so could be numerous projects.

LGA777

Futterman
2005-09-02, 04:42 PM
Josh,

http://www.laguardiaairport.com/aviatio ... ction.html (http://www.laguardiaairport.com/aviation/lga_construction.html)
(Real link this time :))

Brian