PDA

View Full Version : Flight tracker

jakbar
2005-08-24, 03:39 PM
Is there an online flight tracker that allows you to track the movements of a specific plane? Can you get e-mail updates on when a flight plan has been filed for a specific plane to be arriving/departing at a specific airport? I have a few specific planes (all with "N"-number registrations) that I want to photograph when they're in New York, but I don't want to get updates about their movements every day since they are all in regular service.

Josh

Tom_Turner
2005-08-24, 06:17 PM
Josh -

You could try Red1 (or is it RedOne? - something like that).

You can track the specific aircraft and get email updates (if that feature is working).

You might have to pay for the service though - I am not sure if there are still trial memberships.

Last I knew, this wouldn't work for most regular airlines - tracking down special schemes for instance. But for private aircraft, Warbirds etc. it works well.

- Tom

cancidas
2005-08-24, 06:27 PM
josh while there may be a tracker out there understand that registrations are not normally public knowledge. the fact that you are looking for specific airplanes may be seen by some to be a security threat, so just be careful...

lijk604
2005-08-24, 06:57 PM
Most if not all of the trackers out there will only give you an airlines flight number to track. If you are looking to catch a biz-jet, then RedOne, FboWeb, Flight Explorer will help you do that. But, bear in mind, not all biz-jet owners want you to know where they are travelling and can have their tail number blocked. As an example, Cablevision usually blocks their G4 & G5 tail numbers unless they are travelling internationally.

jakbar
2005-08-24, 07:26 PM
I'm looking to catch the America West 757s painted in the special schemes. I want better pictures of a few of them (Cardinals, Nevada and Arizona) before they are repainted some day. Sounds like I may not be able to track whether these planes are coming to JFK.

the fact that you are looking for specific airplanes may be seen by some to be a security threat, so just be careful...

I hear what you're saying, but, frankly, it doesn't worry me since I won't be breaking any laws or doing anything sneaky to obtain the information. So if "the law" wants to knock on my door, I could care less.

tipek
2005-08-24, 07:42 PM
Hey Josh,

If you want to catch HP plane thn you can simply call America West HQ Customer Relations phone number.
It sounds crazy but I did it couple of years ago (2002 or 2003), asking for schedule for B757 Teamwork cs. Lady that I spoke to just laughed because she never had such a request before. She gave me schedule for that particular plane for the next 4 or 5 days. After 3 years of chasing that aircraft I was able to finaly get it at BWI (thanks to the phone call I have made).

Second example was Delta B757 Soaring Spirit back in March of 2002. I sent email to CR person in Delta and she forwarded it to the Vice President of Scheduling. Day later he sent me an email asking on what flight and which airport I would like to have it. I gave him all necessary information and he did it. People didn't believed me, but almost 30 people from Washington-Baltimore Spotters Group showed up that day at BWI.
VP of Scheduling was man of his word. On that particular flight Soaring Spirit came to BWI :) But there was one thing. American Airlines MD-80 didn't live the runway on time and BWI ATC sent Delta to runway 28 instead of 33L. People were really pissed off. (Week later I got it accidentaly at PHL anyway :) )

I also sent request to American Airlines about RetroJet B757. They have such a mess in HQ that for the next 6 months I was getting letters that my request was forwarded to appriopriate department within AA. :) I gave up on AA.

Request to Continental about ERJ-145 with 100th ERJ for COX sticker ended without any results. They've told me that this is confidental information and that they cannot tell me when it will visit BWI or DCA.

You can always try. You don't have anything to loose. All above requests were made after 9/11/01.

Good luck,
Rafal

fly.mcs
2005-08-25, 02:09 AM
Yeah, I tried AA a few weeks ago.
I was going to fly JFK-SJU-JFK and I would be on the A300.
I'm not sure how long they will be with AA, so I emailed them asking to put N91050 on one of my flights (since that was the first A300 to AA).
They said they were unable to...

Sadly enough, the Airbus A300B4-605R prototype was the A300 that went down 12 November 2001, so I couldn't even ask for that one.

But yeah, Josh, try contacting the airline.

SengaB
2005-08-26, 12:47 PM
Josh, I use a combination of Redone and, Flytecomm and ACARS transmission data. Over the last few days redone has been showiong a few flights with the reistration number tagged with the fliht number I don't know why its doing this but I am going to ask them if they can possibly use it through the whole system. Red One does allow you to get alerts on specific registrations (corperateand GA) planes number and airline flight numbers. You can create your own database of planes you want to see and they show up on your alerts list when yo run the program. I use ACARS to track specific registrations of planes. I tag them within the database in ACARS progam and then when a plane is in the area and transmits I know witch one it is. In this gave the primary mean fo tracking a plane is through the registration . The flight number info is basucally usless. Everything from COA "Petermax" 777, AAL MD-80 "Working together" COA 757 winglets to military Military stuff. The USA new colors also showed up as well.

jakbar
2005-08-26, 12:49 PM
Senga, is this something that I could access, or is it some special program you and your clones have special access to? If I can access it, can you show me where/how? Thanks so much!

Futterman
2005-08-26, 12:53 PM
Josh,

http://www.AirNavSystems.com

One of their products is an ACARS Tracker, I assume this is what Senga uses. They're not the cheapest thing out there, and it may even be based on a subscription (ie: you don't buy it once and keep it for life).

Brian