PDA

View Full Version : "Tolerance"

PhilDernerJr
2005-08-16, 01:00 AM
A friend that I work with and I have a joke where we say to each other "It's ok, I tolerate your lifestyle."

This is not a gay joke. It's actually a joke against the kind of people who think they are making strides in equality, but actually slapping in the face those who need not be tolerated, but accepted.

Tolerance. If you tolerate something, it means that you are willing to look past something negative. It's like "I'm willing to tolerate that the fact that you're gay. Don't worry, I'm willing to look past it." Well gee whiz!! I'm so glad you can tolerate someone's warped freako lifestyle. How kind of you!

The word is acceptance. Don't tolerate people of other lifestyles. Educate, invite and accept them.

The next person who says "I tolerate [blank]" will be on the receiving end of my fist.

….and not in an alternative lifestyle way. :lol:

cancidas
2005-08-16, 01:11 AM
derner wrote:
….and not in an alternative lifestyle way.

i'm glad we rectified that litlle detail..

Mike
2005-08-16, 01:48 AM
That was said wonderfully, Phil. :) You won't believe the number of people who don't get the difference between tolerance and acceptance. It doesn't take major strides to tolerate something. It's when you accept it--see that it is merely different, but not wrong--is when real leaps are made. I really hope more will be as enlightened as you, and work toward teaching acceptance, not settling for tolerance. And, I realized that came out very...philosophical (I think that's the word I'm looking for?)...but, I couldn't think how else to say it. :-P

Vodkagirlkris
2005-08-17, 12:14 PM
Phil..... I tolerate your lifestyle

ha ha ha

Derf
2005-08-19, 10:27 AM

ha ha ha

and I accept your avatar...... :lol:

PhilDernerJr
2005-08-19, 12:51 PM