PDA

View Full Version : Bush and Iraq

Novanglus
2005-08-15, 04:13 AM
I wanted to go over the Iraqi War, and the reasons that people are against it.

I first want to tackle the "lie" argument. People say he lied, when I just say he was wrong. He made his call based on what his research teams and cabinet presented, and made a call. (It's also funny to me how when Bush was elected, the same people that just called him a figurehead of his cabinet and his Dad are now the same people personally blaming him for this. How convenient.)

You can't prove a negative. I think the chances for Saddam having them were good. In fact, some could even argue that some materials that WERE found in Iraq would count as WMD. Either way, I think Bush was wrong, as no one could have KNOWN that there weren't WMD in Iraq.

The only way to find out if there was would be to go in there and check, right? Saddam wasn't exactly being cooperative in that department was he? Saddam claimed that no matter what, Bush was going to go after him anyway, which is debatable. However, Saddam played his cards right to make himself look like the supreme victim.

I am for the war for different reasons. I think Saddam and his sons were animals. I don't care if Bush wanted to go in there for WMD, for oil, to finish his Dad's job or if he left his retainer there in the 2nd grade. I just wanted to see Saddam be taken out of power. Anyone, especially liberals, who cannot at least appreciate that one positive aspect of the war, is being closed-minded.

In all fairness, especially to the humanitarian claim, is Iraq a mess right now? Yes. Do I wish we went in with a better post-war plan? Yes. Those are the faults that I will admit.

I could keep going, but that's my general summary.

GrummanFan
2005-08-15, 01:19 PM
In general, I'm known for being a liberal, but what you said is exactly why I have been for the war. Excellent points and summary.

Matt Molnar
2005-08-15, 10:38 PM
You're right on. I always get a laugh out of the people who say what an idiot Bush is, and then in the next sentence say how the Iraq invasion was his diabolical conspiracy to make money for Halliburton and steal oil under the guise of "the war on terror." You can't be a retard and a genius at the same time.

T-Bird76
2005-08-24, 11:39 AM
While the reasons on the surface for going into Iraq were just there are other key reasons why we had to go into Iraq.

1. Saddam's sons for one, neither of them were angles, that's for sure. Both had powerful ambitions and grandiose ideas of glory. More then likely Saddam would have given power to one of them and then all bets were off. I fully believe they would have perused WMD's and attempt to expand their boarders perhaps leading the Middle East into a great conflict with deadly results then what we see today. For this reason alone it was necessary to remove them from power.

2. The second reason I believe we went into Iraq was for strategic reasons. Iraq is right in the heart of the Middle East and once a stable government is established democracy can sway is influence on Iran and Syria and hopefully Saudi Arabia as well.

While these reasons probably would not have sold well to the American people I believe they are powerful and compelling reasons for our invasion. We quickly forget Neville Chamberlain’s appeasement of Nazi Germany in the 1930's and what resulted for doing nothing early in the game.