PDA

View Full Version : Mexican food in NYC

jakbar
2005-07-20, 07:11 PM
What's your favorite Mexican restaurant in NYC? As many of you know, I'm from Arizona, and I am still struggling to find decent Mexican food in NYC,

Josh

Matt Molnar
2005-07-21, 12:26 AM
My favorite is Tequila Sunrise on Bell Blvd and 35th Ave in Bayside. On the higher end as far as Mexican places go, but it's a very nice place, they have a mariachi band walking around on weekends, and the food is excellent.

For awesome Mexican "fast food", try Green Cactus, which is a small chain with a few locations on the Island...one in the Roslyn area (I forget which street), one on Sunrise Highway in Rockville Center, and now a Forest Hills location, and I saw they were building one in The Source Mall the last time I was there.

There's also the growing national chain Chipotle Mexican Grill with a few Manhattan locations which only serves burritos... which are great, but it's more of a Starbucks atmosphere than a real Mexican place.

About a year ago I had lunch in a place in Astoria, I'm pretty sure it was on 35th Ave a block or two off of Steinway St. Food was very good, and lots of "natives" were in there watching soccer. I don't remember the name of it unfortunately. That area has lots of Mexican places these days, so I'm sure you're bound to find that one or another good one.

PhilDernerJr
2005-07-21, 04:09 AM
Gotham is exactly right in referring to Chipotle as a Starbucks atmosphere. But that palce is great. If you don't like actual burritos, you can put the contents into a bowl and eat it liek that.

The palce is amazing. There is a location on 34th between 8 and 9 (half block from B&H), 6th Ave between 14 and 13, and 42nd Street between 5th anve 6th. I think there is one more inthe 50's, but I forget where.

Futterman
2005-07-21, 11:32 AM
Chipotle? Wow, never heard of that place...

Josh, there's also a GREAT restaurant out in Garden City called Cozy Mels.

:)

Brian

jakbar
2005-07-21, 11:41 AM
Chipotle? Wow, never heard of that place...

Perhaps you and Monty should have gone together then. You could have shared a Burrito Bol. :wink:

We have lots of Chipotles in Arizona. It's good, but it's also fast food. I'm looking for real sit-down restaurants. My standards are quite high since the places I am used to in Arizona are awesome.

Josh, there's also a GREAT restaurant out in Garden City called Cozy Mels.

:)

Brian

Wow, does this Cozy Mels have tables near the door to the outside patio? You know that's my favorite place to sit. :roll:

jakbar
2005-07-21, 03:42 PM
BTW, I should mention that all this talk of Chipotle made me decide to go there for lunch today. I am glad that there's one within walking distance of my office.

Futterman
2005-07-21, 04:00 PM
Did you happen to have any of that omnipresent dihydrogen monoxide with your meal? DID YOU??

;)

As for actual restaurants, there's that On The Border in the Broadway Mall complex on LI (infront of Ikea)...pretty damn good, nice atmosphere. Their shrimp coctail is not only delicious, but served as an actual coctail--they shake at your table in a margarita shaker with other seasonings and vegetables.

Brian

jakbar
2005-07-21, 04:08 PM
Did you happen to have any of that omnipresent dihydrogen monoxide with your meal? DID YOU??

I'm beginning to think that's what comes out of your mouth to accompany all of the hot air.

As for actual restaurants, there's that On The Border in the Broadway Mall complex on LI (infront of Ikea)...pretty damn good, nice atmosphere. Their shrimp coctail is not only delicious, but served as an actual coctail--they shake at your table in a margarita shaker with other seasonings and vegetables.

Brian

How do I get there? I'm not familiar with the Broadway Mall.

mirrodie
2005-07-25, 07:51 PM
Josh, I forget, you are in one of the Necks, right? Great or Little? I forget, but I know youre not far from Roslyn.

Go to that Green Cactus Grill, on Mineola Blvd just north of the expressway. Good food and good prices.

Cozy Mels is typical chain food. bland.

Also, in the city, maybe on 33rd and 3rd, double check, Blockheads is good Mexican.

mirrodie
2005-07-25, 07:54 PM
Also, Agave on 7th is good

For Paella, spanish food, El Quixote is good.

yaas
2005-07-25, 08:20 PM
Burrito Loco on West 4th is always fun when with amigos (i prefer the downstairs seating)

PhilDernerJr
2005-07-25, 10:17 PM
Cosmic Cantina on 3rd Ave, southeast corner, 2nd building below 13th Street has some insane burrito action goin on there.

Matt Molnar
2005-07-25, 10:36 PM
Go to that Green Cactus Grill, on Mineola Blvd just north of the expressway. Good food and good prices.

Yeah, that's where that one is!

With all this Mexican talk, I tried a new place the other night, Blue Tortilla Mexican Grille on Jericho Turnpike in Floral Park. I had my doubts because it's only been open for a month at most, and it was empty when we got there. It's a fast food/reasonably priced type place just like Green Cactus. I was pleasantly surprised though...I had a burrito (I forget the name of it) containing grilled shrimp, rice, avacado, cabbage, cheese, onions and tomatoes...it was excellent. My friend had another type of burrito which had beef, black beans, rice, sour cream and tomato...it was huge, must have weighed over a pound...it was good but not as good as the one I got. All served with a basket of homemade tortilla chips that were as good as any I've ever had, and a choice of 4 or 5 salsas at a salsa bar where you serve yourself. I hope business picks up for them because it's a lot closer than any of the other places I mentioned.

yaas
2005-07-28, 01:49 AM
oh, and San loco. affordable & open til weird hours of the night
http://www.sanloco.com
I usually go to the one on Stanton

RDU-JFK
2005-08-08, 11:42 AM
I enjoy Tio Pepe in the West Village and Casa Pepe in Brooklyn. Two excellent, higher-quality Mexican/Spanish restaurants with some of the best guacomole this side of the border. They make it right in front of you!

I forgot the address, though.

Phil, have you been to the Cosmic Cantina in Durham off of 9th Street? I'm curious how it compares to the NYC location--I need to check it out.

AAGold
2005-08-09, 08:36 AM
Josh

It's not in the city, but well worth the ride one day ...

El Bandido
Rt. 59
Spring Valley, NY

The best authentic Mexican food in the area. Been going there for 30 years and it only gets better. Just ask Senga :)

Art

jakbar
2005-08-09, 03:14 PM
Art, how far is that place? And how exactly do I get there? I'm not familiar with Spring Valley.

AAGold
2005-08-09, 04:50 PM
Take the Major Deegan N to 287, cross the Tappan Zee Bridge and just follow 287. You'll exit in Spring Valley on Rt. 59. There might be a couple of exits, not sure, take Rt. 59 away from the direction you were traveling, probably says North but not sure. Restaurant is right befor the junction of Rt. 45.

From the city, 35 miles or so I would guess.

Art

AAGold
2005-08-12, 05:30 AM
Josh

We went tonight and it was as good as ever. The address is 196 Rt. 59, Spring Valley, NY so if you decide to go you can get directions from Mapquest.

Art

jakbar
2005-08-12, 10:02 AM
Thanks, Art. It sounds like I may have to take a drive up to Spring Valley! Do they require reservations?

AAGold
2005-08-12, 01:51 PM
No reservations. If you get there on a weekend night after like 6:30 p.m. be prepared to spend up to an hour in the bar waiting for a table. It's usually very busy. We went Thurs. night and got there about 8 and were seated immediately.

Art

jakbar
2005-08-13, 09:26 PM
I went to On the Border tonight. The food was great! Definitely a place I'll go back to.

Josh