PDA

View Full Version : Flight 587 Memorial To Be Unveiled Wednesday

Futterman
2005-07-12, 04:02 PM
Port Authority representatives and New York City Council members will unveil a memorial at the W. 177th Street Park in the Washington Heights section of Manhattan (on Wednesday, July 13, at 10:15 a.m.). The memorial honors the memory of those lost on American Airlines Flight 587 on November 12, 2001. The park is located on Cabrini Blvd. between W. 177th and W. 178th streets.
______

I'm surprised it's taken FOUR YEARS for a simple memorial. Either way, I'd like to pay a visit in the future out of respect. Wonder what it'll look like.

Brian

mikephotos
2005-07-12, 04:54 PM
Strange place for the memorial. I'm assuming there's a large D.R. pop. in that area? I stop by the actual crash site every once in a while (my Dr's office is right there) and pay my respects. Even though there are no/very little traces of the crash it's still weird to sit there and remember the flames, smoke, crowd and the how the parts were scattered around the area.

Mike

moose135
2005-07-12, 05:29 PM
I think part of the problem with timing & location had to do with the fact that the a/c came down in a residential area, onto private property. They needed to find public land for the monument.

I was in Northeast Pennsylvania the day of the crash, out running around in the car. I heard a little blurb about it, and spent the next hour straining to hear a very scratchy & staticy WCBS & WINS to find out more details.

LGA777
2005-07-12, 06:29 PM
Washington Heights has by far the largest Dominican population in the New York area although there
are many other area's with large Dominican populations. I remember in the days following the accident
watching the TV news and reading the papers and a large number of the passengers had ties to Washington
Heights ! I even remember one comment if you lived in W.H you probably knew someone on the flight !

Peace

Ron Peel