PDA

View Full Version : Egypt Air 990 Last Words (and other aviation quotes)

PhilDernerJr
2005-07-11, 02:17 PM
I was just reading famous last words in aviation on THIS SITE (http://www.skygod.com/quotes/lastwords.html) and found the quotes on/about Egypt Air 990 to be interesting.

---------

"Tawakalt ala Allah."
(I rely on God.)

— Gamil El-Batouti, EgyptAir Flight 990 co-pilot, he repeated this phrase eleven times while shutting off the Boeing 767's engines and pushing the jet into a fatal dive, source NTSB, 31 October 1999.

"What’s happening, Gamil? What’s happening?
What is this? What is this? Did you shut the engines?
Pull. Pull with me. Pull with me. Pull with me."

— Captain Ahmed Mahmoud El Habashy, EgyptAir flight 990, last words, on returning to the cockpit, source NTSB, 13:50 EST 31 October 1999.

"There is nothing on the cockpit voice recorder or the flight data recorder to indicate that Flight 990 was intentionally crashed into the ocean."

— Shaker Kelada, EgyptAir's Vice-President for safety, reported in Al-Ahram Weekly, Cairo, 17 August 2000.[/b]

moose135
2005-07-11, 02:33 PM
Hey Phil,

That's a great site - not just the Last Words part, either. I've poked around there way more then I should many times in the past. Probably my favorite aviation-related quote is there, one I remember back from my Air Force days: "If man were meant to fly, God would have given him baggy, Nomex skin"

PhilDernerJr
2005-07-11, 03:01 PM
Yeah,it's a great site. I love the ORD ATC quotes.

----

"Air Force Four-Five, it appears your engine has...oh, disregard...I see you've already ejected."

----

"Air Force one, I told you to expedite."

----

GrummanFan
2005-07-12, 02:33 PM
"Approach, what's the tower?"
"That's a big tall building with glass all around it, but that's not important right now."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

thats definately the funniest movie of all time.

Tom_Turner
2005-07-13, 09:01 PM
"We Go". Capt van Zanten as KLM 747 begins take-off on Tenerife, Canary Islands. March 27, 1977.

Pan Am 747 was taxiing on the runway and the jumbos collided.

Pan Am had missed had missed their assigned turn and were continuing on to the next, while the KLM pilot thought he had clearance to take off. Both aircraft had simultaneous communication with tower apparently and this caused confusion. Dense fog prevented Tower from seeing aircraft ..other factors as well..etc etc..

Remember reading at the time the KLM's tail dug a ditch in the runway attempting to get airborn over the Pan Am. For its part the Pan Am pilots(s) executed a sharp turn (to the left?) . Horrific loss of life.