PDA

View Full Version : Last Gig(abyte) "

Futterman
2005-07-10, 10:43 PM
http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/1gig.jpg

I actually have an external 80GB hard drive sitting here, but my computer stopped reading it and I have yet to send it away for servicing. So, in short, I can't use it.

Even if I could use it right now, I'm sure I'd pack away another 40gigs of photos in a weekend...which is actually kinda pathetic...

Any other suggestions?

Matt Molnar
2005-07-10, 11:00 PM
Run Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter...could save you up to a gig.
Is the drive compressed yet? If not, right click the drive in My Computer, click "Properties" and then check the box that says "Compress drive to save disk space." It might slow your machine down slightly, but in a pinch it will give you a lot of extra space.

T-Bird76
2005-07-10, 11:04 PM
Hey Brian send me some of your pics, My baby can handle it... lol

http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/P3270005.jpg

PhilDernerJr
2005-07-11, 12:01 AM
Tommy, we hate you.

I don't think it's possible to do defrag unless you have at least 15% of your drive free or something, which Futt does not have.

Futt, just delete stuff you dont need. Save some onto CD or DVD, at least temporarily, until you can get more space.

mikephotos
2005-07-11, 01:13 AM
I have a spare 20gig harddrive you could use (keep). Hook it up as a slave until you can purchase another larger (120GB+...they're cheap these days) drive. Actually, I have 2 of them I believe. I have no need for the 20gig drives as they're too small....if you want one let me know. If not, no big deal either.

Mike

Futterman
2005-07-11, 02:06 PM
I guess I'll resort to what I've been doing...going through all my shots from the first two weeks with my camera and deleting the 40 blurry shots I took of AE RJs at JFK. haha

Mike, if you're looking to give'em away, I'll be more than happy to take them. I'll be out this weekend, so if you decide to join us, don't forget the hard drives. :)

Brian

mikephotos
2005-07-11, 04:29 PM
I guess I'll resort to what I've been doing...going through all my shots from the first two weeks with my camera and deleting the 40 blurry shots I took of AE RJs at JFK. haha

If that's the case and you'll be deleting your bad shots that should free up 30 or 40gigs :) hahaha

Mike, if you're looking to give'em away, I'll be more than happy to take them. I'll be out this weekend, so if you decide to join us, don't forget the hard drives. :)
Brian

I'll bring them with me if I go out. If it's crappy and no shooting, give me a call and I can probably meet you somewhere...

Mike

jakbar
2005-07-11, 04:56 PM

If that's the case and you'll be deleting your bad shots that should free up 30 or 40gigs :) hahaha

Oh man, you beat me to that one! :)

I actually need to start putting my pictures on another hard drive too. Do you recommend an internal or an external drive? All I have been doing lately is dumping stuff to CD.

Josh

PhilDernerJr
2005-07-11, 05:41 PM
Wow, guys, ouch.
:mrgreen:

Mike
2005-07-11, 07:11 PM
External hard drives are good for backup (storing it in a fireproof safe, for example) or mobility (if you want to take the HD somewhere and the files you'd need would be too much to fit on a USB key), but I'd recommend going with internal if you don't need it for either of those reasons (and don't mind going through the "trouble" of installing an internal). It's a lot cheaper so you can get more capacity in an internal HD for the same price of a lower capacity external. I'd also recommend Maxtor over Western Digital, they're less expensive but same if not better quality, in my opinion at least. :-P

jakbar
2005-07-11, 07:23 PM
I confess that I know very little about the hardware side of computers, so pardon my ignorance. If I install an internal hard drive and proceed to put all my photos on it, what happens if I subsequently buy a new computer and want to put that hard drive in it? Do I have to reformat the hard drive and lose all the data, or will it simply just plug right in? One problem I can see is that my current computer has Win98SE, while any new computer I buy will have the newest version of Windows. If I were to say that I am currently thinking of buying a new computer, would that change your thinking in terms of whether I should go for an internal or external?

eric8669
2005-07-11, 07:41 PM
You can buy an internal Hard Drive and always by an enclosure to make your own external drive. Since I work in IT I would say don't go near a Maxtor Hard Drive, Western Digital All the way. We have Maxtor's at work and they are the worst things around. Whenever we order new machines we ask for Western Digital. I find them to be a much better product.

Eric

Mike
2005-07-11, 08:13 PM
Whenever you buy a new computer, you can just remove the hard drive from your old one and install it as you would in your old computer. You wouldn't need to reformat or anything. Of course, going with an external would solve the hassle of having to do that. You may want to check though, since your computer is that old, it may not support some of the newer hard drives. (Going with an external may solve that incompatibility, I'm not sure; though, it won't transfer incredibly fast because you probably have USB 1.0.) You could probably check with your computer manufacturer to see what it supports, or maybe Eric or me can help you out with that if you post your make and model here.

mikephotos
2005-07-12, 11:06 AM
Oh man, you beat me to that one! :)

I had too, he left that one wide open for us.

I actually need to start putting my pictures on another hard drive too. Do you recommend an internal or an external drive? All I have been doing lately is dumping stuff to CD.

Josh

I do both. As soon as I dump my RAWs from CF to my C: I then copy those original RAWs to my slave ( D: ) internal hard drive then burn a copy to CD/DVD. For important shoots, I'll burn 2 CD/DVD's as a double backup.

As for internal vs. external. I personally feel internals are more reliable than external so I don't own an external. Of course that's just my personal feelings. Plus, internals are much cheaper. As mentioned above, if you get a new PC you just remove the slave from your current PC and install as a slave on your new PC and you're set. The only concern would be if your old HD is IDE/ATA and your new PC has SATA connections.

I will eventually pickup an external as a backup to my slave internal just as a precaution.

Mike

Futterman
2005-07-12, 01:37 PM
I had too, he left that one wide open for us.

I'm too nice. :) It's true though, that's why I said it!

So Mike, are these 20GB HDs you have internal or external? If they're internal, then I'll have to pass...

mikephotos
2005-07-12, 01:49 PM
They are internal drive Brian....

Mike

jakbar
2005-07-12, 02:06 PM
Eric mentioned something about buying an enclosure for an internal drive and converting it into an external drive. Is that expensive and/or practical?

Mike
2005-07-12, 03:41 PM
I've never personally used one, so maybe Eric would be better at answering that. Though, I would think it'd be more trouble than its worth though unless you have a specific need for it. A quick Internet search yielded prices from around $20 up to $70 (or more) for a hard drive enclosure. From what I can see, the advantage of an enclosure would be if you wanted to purchase a high capacity HD (that didn't come pre-existing as an external) but needed it to be external, that would likely be the best way to do it. But, again, getting an internal would save you a lot of money.

mikephotos
2005-07-12, 04:59 PM
I think the benefit to those enclosures are for those that have a large cap. internal available (laying around) and want to use it as a external for backups. If you are planning to buy a new drive (don't have one laying around) then I would suggest not even considering an enclosure. Go with an internal or an acutal external.

Mike

PhilDernerJr
2005-07-12, 05:58 PM
As an old job of mine, I installed my own internal 13gig Western Digital (big at the time), and had it hooked up liek an external.

I used it just for downloading my music to (Napster was new at the time) and other personal documents.

So, when I ended up quitting last minute and storming out, I ripped open the front panel of the tower, ripped out the drive and walked out.

Today, that same drive sits in my computer right now as the drive that keeps my programs and stuff.

Mike
2005-07-12, 11:26 PM
Haha, I'd love to have seen you rip the tower open and storm out carrying a hard drive. ;)