PDA

View Full Version : 6/9 Weekend + Directions to Planeview Park

Futterman
2005-07-08, 11:08 AM
Even though forecasts place this weekend's weather somewhere in a dismal hole, 13/31 will be closed at LGA and the likelihood of some cool weather effects is very high for both arrivals and departures on 04 or 22.

Personally, I may find myself at Planeview Park for a bit on Saturday and/or Sunday with the hope for a cool shot or nice stormy sunlight, but it looks like the chances of a large group getting out are pretty slim.

So for our new users like protonv5, ISP Pilot, DannyO, tipek, etc, who want to go out this weekend or any other, the directions to the park are very simple (courtesy of Jakbar).

Take the Grand Central Parkway westbound towards the city. Go past LGA (on the right) and take the exit for the Marine Air Terminal. Once you get to the first light, turn left and go over the overpass that crosses the Grand Central. At the next light (at the other end of the overpass), turn left onto 23rd Ave. On your right will be a field that we call "Landing Lights Park" because the landing lights for 04 are in the park. Keep going another couple of hundred feet, and Planeview Park is on your left on the other side of the street. It's a small park, but there are signs in the park that say "Planeview Park". It is very hard to miss--it's also right next to the College of Aeronautics.

Have fun,
Brian

protonv5
2005-07-08, 11:28 AM
Cool, thanks Futterman. I happen to be coming from the EWR area. So I can work my way to the Belt Pkwy; then what do I do from there?

Thanks.

Steven Holzinger
2005-07-08, 11:48 AM
Coming from Staten Island, you could take the BQE (I-278) towards LGA (not sure about the exact directions from there but I'm sure you can reach Exit 5 off the Grand Central) but the best way and only way I know to get to LGA from the Belt is to take it to the Van Wyck (north) to the Grand Central and follow the above directions.

eric8669
2005-07-08, 09:15 PM
I will be out there, I am doing an airport drop off at 6:00AM on Saturday. The weather should clear throughout the day. Could get some interesting shots.

Eric

T-Bird76
2005-07-08, 10:29 PM
Wish I could make it this Saturday but I'm working, grrr. Last weekend I'll ever have to work thank god. Brian next week I have to drop some friends off at LGA so I'll def be out then. Might be out a bit late prob around 10:30 being I'm dropping them off at 10 but I'll be out. If you need a ride let me know.

Futterman
2005-07-08, 10:38 PM
Eric, which airport are you going to be at? I was hoping to get to LGA for the Delta 732 and possibly JFK for Tahiti later in the day. Check your email...

Tom, sounds like a plan. Josh said he'll be out that weekend, though, so I think I may already be set with a ride for then, but I'll let you know for sure as we get closer.

protonv5, Steven's directions are correct. Just take the Belt to the Van Wyck North and you'll see directions to LGA as you get closer.

Brian

protonv5
2005-07-09, 07:52 AM
Cool thanks very much for the directions. Where will most of the gang be? JFK or LGA?

eric8669
2005-07-09, 02:02 PM
well just back from a few hours of spotting. Didn't see anybody else out there, the weather is great. Went to Planeview and Crossbay. If anybody wants to go out this afternoon I am available. Call me on the Cell. 516-242-3720

protonv5
2005-07-09, 11:32 PM
I'd like to come out Sunday to JFK is anyone else is gonna be there. :D

Futterman
2005-07-09, 11:37 PM
I ended up going to Planeview at about 3:30. Stuck around for only about 45 minutes...rained for a bit but cleared up pretty quickly. Got some nice shots. Sorry I didn't contact you, Eric, just didn't work out this time around.

protonv5, personally, I think I have family plans tomorrow so can't really see myself at the airport without a miracle. However, next weekend (the 16th) seems to be building up and should turn out to be pretty nice. I know I'll be out then.

Brian

protonv5
2005-07-10, 07:57 AM
Sounds good. I'll probably swing by EWR today, but I'll wait for the 16th to hit JFK.

eric8669
2005-07-10, 09:38 AM
will try and get out later for some spotting at JFK.

Eric