PDA

View Full Version : Situation at JFK after today's incident in London

tipek
2005-07-07, 10:43 AM
Hey Guys,

I'm planning on coming to JFK this weekend, but after those explosions in London I'm not so sure.
The thing is, that I don't want to drive 4 hours from DC just to be kicked off by NYPD officers.
Do you think that something will change at JFK because of those terrorist's atacks?

Thanks,
Rafal

T-Bird76
2005-07-07, 11:06 AM
Remember depending on the approach you don't have to be on JFK's grounds to spot. You have the mounds, COSTCO, Burger King, and Bay Water. So you might be ok. Not sure but I heard its going to be hazy and hot this weekend so its not the NYPD you have to worry about its the crappy sky.

Futterman
2005-07-07, 11:24 AM
Good question, Rafal.

While the majority of places are not on airport property, we have been approached by cops just about everywhere (remember that Bayswater, Burger King/Costco, The Mounds, etc. are all in populated areas).

I imagine the presence of the NYPD in subway stations (and presumably airports) will continue through the week and everyone will be on high alert for anything and everything (what color is that, light magenta??). I would not and will not hesitate going out even in this atmosphere. Our reasons for being out are still valid and we have no responsibility to put our hobby on hold--but that's not to say that we don't have a responsibility to acknowledge what happened.

Heck, I saw footage from the London Subway someone shot this morning with their cell phone camera. If something WERE to happen at the airport, it'd be stupid for us not to be there. That's always been the case.

There will probably be another big group out this weekend, and we will most definitely be prepared with more than just words and photos. I don't recommend going out alone, but I do recommend you go out.

Brian

USAF Pilot 07
2005-07-07, 04:12 PM
As Brian said, if you can meet up with the group going out, you'll be much safer than if you did it alone.

There are safety in numbers, and although it shouldn't be the case, cops will look at 10 people all with huge cameras, who look to be "run-of-the-mill" ordinary people, much differently than they will view one person alone with a large camera.

Futterman
2005-07-07, 04:24 PM
As Brian said, if you can meet up with the group going out, you'll be much safer than if you did it alone.

There are safety in numbers, and although it shouldn't be the case, cops will look at 10 people all with huge cameras, who look to be "run-of-the-mill" ordinary people, much differently than they will view one person alone with a large camera.

Exactly. It's not a cureall, though, as the chances of us being 'pulled over' are still very high. As long as we maintain an out-in-the-open appearance and are not covert about anything, anyone with common sense should be able to conclude that we're not there to threaten national security. Oh, wait, common sense? What's that?

Then there's also the whole good cop/bad cop, but either way, there's no reason to stay home. It's all just another day out as far as we're concerned!

Phil keeps referring to a statement Tom Turner made, and I've found myself comitting it to memory as well. Something like: "A terrorist could easily get a job in an airport, so there's no point in him masquerading around as a photographer." Again, the lack of common sense makes this something we constantly have to reassert when approached.

Brian

Matt Molnar
2005-07-07, 06:28 PM
Another tip, DON'T SPOT WITH A CREW CUT.

Actress Natalie Portman was pulled over while approaching the Midtown Tunnel a couple days ago. She claims it's because she had short hair causing the NYPD to suspect she was a terrorist. The fact that her license and registration were expired didn't factor in to her line of thinking. :roll:

tipek
2005-07-07, 07:04 PM
Ok, we are postponding trip to JFK until next Saturday.(July 16).
Some poeple from DC couldn't go this weekend because of work or London bombing.
We will have more people next Saturday.

Rafal

Steven Holzinger
2005-07-07, 11:18 PM
That should make the weekend of July 16 more populated, if you will, since I'll be making a trip up from South Jersey for the weekend. I'm having a little problem with where to stay, though...

tipek
2005-07-07, 11:32 PM
If we decide to stay overnight at JFK, we will probably go to some motel on route 1/9 near EWR. $50 a night its much better than hotel near JFK for $150.

Rafal

KFRG
2005-07-08, 12:37 AM
Well I was bored beyond belief today so I decided to head down to the airport. Hung out at Costco and Airplane Field with no troubles.

protonv5
2005-07-08, 09:11 AM
Hey guys, I joined recently and haven't met any of you yet, but hope to soon. How do I go about finding you guys when you're at JFK? Will anyone be there this weekend or is the weather going to jack it up for us? :shock:

Steven Holzinger
2005-07-08, 11:53 AM
I checked weather.com and Saturday in NYC is supposed to be mostly cloudy, with a high of 77º. Sunday is supposed to go up to 89º and be partly cloudy. I'll be out at PHL tomorrow, weather permitting then meeting up with everyone the following weekend (with new digital camera and the camcorder).

tipek
2005-07-08, 12:07 PM
Brian,

Where is the picture that you took after the dinner :)

Rafal

Futterman
2005-07-08, 12:18 PM
Wow, I completely forgot about that. hahaha :)

I remember the shutter speed being something like 10 seconds anyway, but I'll look for it when I get home this evening...might've even deleted it...what was the date again?

tipek
2005-07-08, 12:34 PM
It was eather February 5th or 6th.

Rafal

protonv5
2005-07-08, 03:24 PM
PHL huh? Tell me more. Are there any good spotting spots for spotters? I would like to check out PHL also as I am already south of EWR. 8)