PDA

View Full Version : Whip out your putter, kids!

mirrodie
2005-07-06, 05:53 PM
Last Friday, I was at a wedding rehearsal dinner and I was given a golf putter with my name engraved into it. Then the groom to be mentioned that I was in the wrong profession to not be playing golf and it was about time I learned.

So after 30 years of no desire, I am willing to give it a shot. I would be wrong to write it off completely without having tried it at least once.

Where do I start? Whats a par? a 9 iron? All I know is the less strokes the better, right?

Oh, the putter says, over my name, White Magic II. What is that?? ;D

I figure the boys will have me start over at this small 9 hole course in Babylon. Any tips, anecdotes, suggestions?

IslipWN
2005-07-06, 07:39 PM
I think a par is when you get the ball in the hole within a certain amount of shots. THats all I really know. I got kicked off the course in J&R's steak house because on the first hole, I went to swing and my golf pole went flying backwards out of my hands and thru the sun roof of the kitchen. But I also got partly kicked out because I couldn't stop laughing even when the manager came out and started screaming at me. I know it sounds real immature but it was really funny.

moose135
2005-07-06, 07:48 PM
I used to play golf, but I kept hitting the windmill :)

Each hole has a specified number of shots to sink your ball, based on length, hazards and such. That is Par - taking more than the specified number puts you above par - get used to that, as a beginner, that's where you will most likely live.

A 9 Iron is a type of club - golf clubs generally fall into two categories, woods (generally not made of wood anymore) and irons. The number has to do with the angle of the club face, but I don't know much beyond that.

I have many friends who golf (since I'm in the advertising department of a newspaper, it's a common hobby.) The best description I've ever heard is "Golf is a good walk spoiled". :)

PhilDernerJr
2005-07-06, 11:55 PM
NikV is actually a golf pro, so I'm sure he'll chime in here soon.

I've recently gotten into golf. I go to the driving range, I play mini-golf and I go nuts playing golf video games.

Next week I'm gonna go to the pitch and putt. I jsut wanna work ont he skills before I hit an actual course.

T-Bird76
2005-07-07, 09:27 AM
I think we need to setup a NYCAviation.com golf outing!!! We can start with mini golf as to not make assess out of ourselves. :lol:

moose135
2005-07-07, 11:14 AM
I think we need to setup a NYCAviation.com golf outing!!! We can start with mini golf as to not make assess out of ourselves. :lol:

Hey, we can make asses of ourselves in mini golf too!

Futterman
2005-07-07, 11:28 AM
Dude, we take photos of airplanes in our free time. We already ARE asses. :D

I was just at the Alley Pond Driving Range with my dad on Tuesday. We spent too much time on a futile attempt to perfect my backswing and get a ball past the 75 marker, so yeah, I think I'm ready for 18 holes!

Brian

PhilDernerJr
2005-07-07, 12:04 PM
Tommy, I thikn that's a great idea.

Actually, JFKTower.com has had a golf tournament for the past two years in Long Island. It's like $60 for the golf, and another $60 for the banquet afterwards. Mirrodie and I went together the first year and had a fun time.

The money goes towards a heart disease charity I believe. If you're not into golf, like we weren't, you were allowed to pay $60 and jsut attend the banquet. Eating dinner there with most of the air traffic controllers form JFK is pretty coool.

I recently just tried to contact Dave Shoen from JFKTower.com to find out about this year's touranment, if there is one. I wonder how he would feel about 30 local enthusiasts showing up this year. lol

Either way, I think hitting up mini-golf is a great idea, especially when the weather gets a little too hot for spotting.

You guys don't want none of my 250-yard drive with my basebaall swing, though.

http://nycaviation.com/pichost/philgolf1.jpg

jakbar
2005-07-07, 12:14 PM
You guys don't want none of my 250-yard drive with my basebaall swing, though.

Is your real name Happy Gilmore?

It would be insane for a group of us lunatics to show up at a mini-golf place. We'd have to pick a place nowhere near any airport because otherwise each time a plane flies overhead we'd all stop to look up, causing the people behind us to call us names and tell us to get off our asses.

This JFKTower.com banquet sounds really cool. I'd be up for the banquet, but definitely not for the golf. Phil, keep us posted about please.

Josh

PhilDernerJr
2005-07-07, 12:41 PM
Alley Pond Golf offers a cute, but high up, view of LGA 13 Deps directly overhead.

Will keep you guys posted. :)

moose135
2005-07-07, 01:40 PM
Dude, we take photos of airplanes in our free time. We already ARE asses. :D

No, I like to think of it more as "geeky". There's a sweet young lady I know who asked me what I did last weekend. I take it as a positive sign in our relationship that she wasn't frightened away after I explained our spotting/photo expedition Sunday afternoon.

USAF Pilot 07
2005-07-07, 04:24 PM
Wow, Phil you look like you're about to take it, not about to hit a ball!

I play gold occasionally. I used to play a lot down in Florida, and was quite decent (Handicap around 4). I played in several tournaments down there and although never won any, finished fairly well.

Recently, I just haven't found the time to keep up my golf game. I need to get back into it, especially being in the Air Force. Many in the AF joke about how Civil Engineer designs the whole base around the golf course, and builds it first, so that if funds run out, at least there's a golf course!

Vodkagirlkris
2005-07-07, 06:01 PM
I'm up for mini-golf.

But when it comes to actual golf, I can't get the damn ball off the ground.

Dude, we take photos of airplanes in our free time. We already ARE asses.

Ha ha ha... i wouldn't say that... Maybe nerds. :roll:

Matt Molnar
2005-07-07, 06:18 PM
I used to play at the Flushing Meadows Pitch n Putt a lot back in high school. I feel the urge to go back upon reading this thread.

Plus a nice view of LGA 13 departures/31 arrivals for us nerds. :mrgreen:

NIKV69
2005-07-07, 06:43 PM
I remember the video you showed me Phil. You looked pretty good! Your posture and set up is bad most likely because that club was too small for you but you made a good athletic move. I don't know if you read my reply to you on anet Mario but if you decide to try golf you can come down to my place one evening around dinner time when I am practicing and I can show you a few basic fundamentals to get you started.

mirrodie
2005-07-07, 07:05 PM
a mini golf outing would be cool.

actually, you're right, when Phil and I went to the golf outing, all we did was watch arrivals into JFK.

meanwhile, most of the people there were ATC guys out of JFK.
Only bad thing is, IIRC, that jfktower.com outing was always on an awkward weeknight which was most convenient for JFK Tower crew.

:D Minigolf might be good for kicks.

Hyder
2005-07-07, 10:44 PM
The only reason Phil took that picture was to show off his tri-cep... and a juicy tender tri-cep it tis.

mike b
2005-07-07, 11:24 PM
I pretty much have always detested golf. But for the past few months, I've been freelancing at Golf Magazine, and have started to become interested. I've gone to the driving range on randalls island, and the pitch & putt in queens. Tuesday, I had my first outing at a real golf course in jersey. shot a 34 over on nine holes, and almost took a lady's head off with my first 3 wood swing. Now I'm somewhat hooked.

mirrodie
2005-07-13, 05:22 PM
hey Nick, dunno if you saw my reply, but I'm game for that.

Looking forward to it. I'll bring the beers?

For now thought, Im just gonna play Tiger Woods PGA 2005 tonight on PS2

Vodkagirlkris
2005-07-13, 05:38 PM

Great idea. I'll bring some too!

PhilDernerJr
2005-07-13, 05:41 PM

I will kick your ass in that, Mario. You don't want none of this!

mirrodie
2005-07-13, 08:42 PM

I will kick your ass in that, Mario. You don't want none of this!

Listen pal, for a guy who just learned what a par was last night, and double eagled in same night, you best put your money where your mouth is!

PhilDernerJr
2005-07-13, 11:02 PM
Listen, Doc, I spared some of my other friends last night when I insitsted that we not play poker for money. Guess who cleaned them with a Swiffer?

I'll give you one more chance to retract your "money where you mouth is" threat.

:twisted:

NIKV69
2005-07-18, 01:46 AM
Mario,

Sounds good. No beers though. This is a private club and we need to behave. I will show you a few things to get you started so you can bitch slap Phil. We have a tough week ahead but I will let you know when we can meet up.

mirrodie
2005-07-19, 08:19 PM
with a Swiffer?? Listen Capn jack, I'm drinking milk and Nik's teaching me the groove.

Kiss your ass goodbye!

wow, Nik, you're pulling out the stops!

OK, beers at my place then, at some to be decided time. perhaps at an nycaviation.com outing?