PDA

View Full Version : I got the JOB!!!!!

T-Bird76
2005-07-05, 09:22 PM
Some of you already know the good news I received Friday afternoon but for those who don't I'll share my story. For the past year I've hated where I work (I'll keep the company private). The organization has gone though some bad changes brought in managers who if you worked with them would agree that Hitler had better people skills. Its always nice to be told that a monkey could do a job as a Corp Trainer and that training is a waste of money, that's just some of the charm my manger has.

Anyway I've been looking around for about a year and went on some interviews, got some offers, offers from pretty good companies to, for example Tiffany and Co, Showtime and Bed Bath and Beyond. Tiffany couldn't match my salary; Showtime didn't feel right, and Bed Bath.... Oh I won't even go there. Gotta love when there making you an offer and the Director constantly is making phone calls.... :roll: Anyway if you've been in the work place for a long time you'll know how important it is that a company feels right to you. It’s not about the money, trust me I make good money now but I can't stand going into work. I was even willing to take a pay cut just to work in a culture that promotes the people.

So two weeks ago I came across a job posting on Careerbuilder for a Corp Trainer from a headhunting agency and decided to apply. Got a call this past Monday from the headhunter to setup an interview. I went in on Wed spoke to him for about 2 hours showed him my portfolio and he was very happy. I no sooner got off the train to two voicemails from him wanting to setup a second interview with the company it self. He said they want to conduct a panel interview (5 people) and have me do a presentation. So I said great lets set it up for Friday at noon to give me some time to put something together.

So all day Thursday I locked my self in my house and put together a nice little 15 min presentation on customer service, I was even impressed with how it came out. Went in on Friday sat in this conference room with the five folks I'd be working with and I just took charge. I anticipated their questions before hand and used that to my advantage. I gotta say I was on fire!!! After that I did my presentation which they seemed to like allot and that was it, we said our goodbyes and they told me I'd be hearing from them one way or another today.

I leave call the headhunter to tell him how it went, he's happy and I go home. I pull up in my driveway the phone rings it’s the headhunter. So I'm leaning against my car and he's like "Tom I have some good news and some bad news” I’m like ok shoot. "You got the job but they can't give you the posted salary” So I'm happy I got the job but in the back of my mind I'm thinking man how much of a pay cut can I afford to take. So I ask him well what's the new salary? He says to me "oh $15,000 more then what they posted plus a $6000 signing bonus” I said what did you say, are you ****ting me?? He's like you wowed them big time. Just think if you won the lottery how you would react, well that was me in my driveway, threw up my tie, yelling like I scored the winning touch down at the Super Bowl. I was simply thrilled beyond belief. So to wrap up in two weeks I'll be starting with my new company as their Trainer for product and operations in Melville. Not only was this weekend enjoyable for the great spotting we did but also this new job just made it even better. I go back to work tomorrow after taking a seven day vacation to say "hey I'm outta here". Never felt so good to go back to work after a vacation.

IslipWN
2005-07-05, 11:35 PM
Wow!!!!!! Congrats on your new job! I really do hope that everything works out nicely!

PhilDernerJr
2005-07-06, 04:34 AM
We spoke about this before, congrsats man. Great opportunity and I'm glad that you're so happy. Great story that I hope to emulate one day.

Vodkagirlkris
2005-07-06, 11:59 AM
Go You!!!
That sounds great.
I'd be giddy for weeks.
I'm very happy for you and congrats!

Derf
2005-07-06, 11:36 PM
GREAT NEWS TOM!!! BRAVO!!!!

mirrodie
2005-07-13, 05:30 PM
Tom, congrats again Dude!

You're now right around the corner from my place in Melville. We'll have to figure a time to celebrate over a few beers soon.

T-Bird76
2005-07-13, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the kind words guy I really appreciate it. This move came just at the right time in my life. Oh and Mario I'll def take you up on that offer!