PDA

View Full Version : Bars

PhilDernerJr
2005-06-30, 03:45 AM
Just to talk about some good bars in Manhattan that I enjoy.

Fuelray - #rd Street between La Guardia and Thompson. Great place. I like the atmosphere, with booths that you can sit down at in the back that allow intimacy with your friends, yet still does not seclude you from the rest of the place, allowing you to socialize with other patrons. They also have my favorite beer, Yuengling, $4 each.

The DJ is pretty good, yet the music isn't so loud that it prevents you from talking to people. Good hip hop without being too thug.

The only downside is that the place seems to clear out by 1am.

Two friends of mine had B-Day parties there and it was a great time. Because it empties early, if you are bar hopping, I think you should start your night here.

Absolutely 4 - 228 W 4th St

A great lounge with very comfortable seating and a fun atmosphere. You get a very diverse crowd of people listening to good music that is not to loud. Busy all night, great waitress service at all the seating locations and just a fun time. Excellent place when you want to dress trendy and have drinks for a night on the town.

Drinks are moderately priced.

A buddy of mine used to bang one of the waitresses there, and we learned it was a great spot to hang at. Really great for meeting all different kinds of people. Friendly crowd.

Twinz - 9th Ave between 34th and 33rd (right across from B&H!)

A tasty restaurant during the day and a comfortable quiet bar at night. If you're on a date and want to have a nice drink at a quiet bar to talk, this is your place. Comfortable, classic, nice juke box and the drinks are not that expensive.

This is (was) Hammerstein's bar staff after-work spot. If a team of bartenders goes there after serving alcohol all night, it must be good. I have no idea where to begin with telling you stories about what has happened in the back seating area of that place.

Dewey's Flatiron - 210 5th Ave (off of 25th Street)

A nice bar with a happy hour crowd being in the business area. While it isn't the most exciting place on a regular night, it's good for a drink right after work. Most importantly, get a calendar and find out when they are having events. Maxim parties and all kinds of exciting themes go on here that are a great time.

I used to hang out here when I worked on Madison Avenue. Friday's lunch would be with coworkers and about 3 beers in an hour with a BLT over a few games of pool. Guess how much work we got done Friday afternoons? Goose egg.

Planet Rose - 219 Ave A (off of 14th)

If you like Karaoke, then I thnk this is your place. Not that big, but a comfortable room in the back for singers to be the center of attention. Cheap drinks, good music and an intimate crowd.

This place has stories right up there with Twinz. Except here, I have photo albums showing the insanity. But I can't show that stuff here.

KFRG
2005-07-08, 06:34 PM
Anyone ever been to Brewskys? Nice little place, it's on W4th St btwn 2nd and 3rd Ave's. Great beer selection, I believe they had 500+ types of beer on their list.

Novanglus
2005-07-19, 04:20 AM
Since 2nd and 3rd Avenues are are on the EAST side, how can they intersect WEST 4th?

<----confused

yaas
2005-07-22, 07:45 PM
Absolutely 4th is actually my favorite. I love their martinis. I had my 21st burfday shindig there & we had lots of fun.

2 years ago I went with someone on karoke night. After 1 martini he somehow convinced me to go up and sing Wonderwall. I knew something wasn't going right when I looked at him while singing and he was LOOKING THE OTHER WAY :( :(

Matt Molnar
2005-08-01, 02:34 PM
QT Hotel Bar - 45th Between 6th and 7th

The QT is a small boutiquey hotel which seems pretty new. Everything about it is small, including the bar, which is on the ground floor behind a small pool which is surrounded by glass. This is a good thing, because it seems all the female guests at the hotel are model-actress-types, i.e. they're all hot. This could be because it's in the heart of the theater district, it could be the fact that the IMG modeling agency has an office a couple of blocks west, or it could be that the hotel probably used to be a brothel before Giuliani-time and they could all be hookers, but if they were on the job they weren't working very hard. There are comfy couches on the walls, good for making out with said models, and some small tables, and of course the actual bar. Definitely no bargains to be had here, but no one ever claimed hanging out with The Beautiful People was cheap.

mirrodie
2005-08-01, 07:45 PM
hey phil, remember Idlewild? OK bar but more for aviation nuts.

Matt Molnar
2005-09-18, 12:35 PM
Fuelray - #rd Street between La Guardia and Thompson. Great place. I like the atmosphere, with booths that you can sit down at in the back that allow intimacy with your friends, yet still does not seclude you from the rest of the place, allowing you to socialize with other patrons. They also have my favorite beer, Yuengling, $4 each.

The DJ is pretty good, yet the music isn't so loud that it prevents you from talking to people. Good hip hop without being too thug.

The only downside is that the place seems to clear out by 1am.

Two friends of mine had B-Day parties there and it was a great time. Because it empties early, if you are bar hopping, I think you should start your night here.

I went to a birthday party there last night and it was pretty cool. I'll definitely head back there.

Alex T
2005-09-20, 02:18 PM
Damn guys, looks like NY has great bars. It looks really cool. Can't wait till im 21 and can check these places out.

Here in Carbondale, bars are 19 yr old and its very college type ****. The most "adult" I have seen is about around 25-28, Anyone over that is considered "old" to that Bar. (Sorry Tommy :lol:) But it is a great bar to hang out if your a college student and up to the age of 25 or 26. of course a lot of older aged people go, but its geared for college students.

Ya, right as if anyone cares about some tiny bar in carbondal,e illinois, hicktown of the midwest LMAO. But anytime you wanna come to the midwest and experience a midwest bar check it out, and let me know. ill have to drag tommy out to the freds dance barn nearby hahaha.
Alex

Alex T
2005-09-20, 02:18 PM
Damn guys, looks like NY has great bars. It looks really cool. Can't wait till im 21 and can check these places out.

Here in Carbondale, bars are 19 yr old and its very college type ****. The most "adult" I have seen is about around 25-28, Anyone over that is considered "old" to that Bar. (Sorry Tommy :lol:) But it is a great bar to hang out if your a college student and up to the age of 25 or 26. of course a lot of older aged people go, but its geared for college students.

Ya, right as if anyone cares about some tiny bar in carbondal,e illinois, hicktown of the midwest LMAO. But anytime you wanna come to the midwest and experience a midwest bar check it out, and let me know. ill have to drag tommy out to the freds dance barn nearby hahaha.
Alex

T-Bird76
2005-09-21, 04:10 PM
Well I'm not to up on bars in the city, when I was my early 20s I was more of a club person. But I did frequent Off The Wagon and the Coffe Shop pretty often when I worked in the city.

T-Bird76
2005-09-21, 04:10 PM
Well I'm not to up on bars in the city, when I was my early 20s I was more of a club person. But I did frequent Off The Wagon and the Coffe Shop pretty often when I worked in the city.

mikephotos
2005-09-21, 05:23 PM
the Coffe Shop pretty often when I worked in the city.

Ah, too many nights spent there drinking it up with MGM flight attendants....those were the days.. :cry:

Mike

mikephotos
2005-09-21, 05:23 PM
the Coffe Shop pretty often when I worked in the city.

Ah, too many nights spent there drinking it up with MGM flight attendants....those were the days.. :cry:

Mike