PDA

View Full Version : Aviation Documentary Filming in July

PhilDernerJr
2005-06-08, 11:06 PM
Hey everyone,

I while back I was approached by a company that is interested in creating a documentary about aviation enthusiasm. After some planning it was decided that the best way to start would be by filming myself and all of us in action while we are out there doing what we do best.

I'm looking to plan all kinds of spotting and aviation events for the month of July. Seeing as we are the focal point of this independent documentary, there’ll have to be a strong spotter presence at the local airports each Saturday and Sunday of every weekend in July. I'm also going to be trying to book an event at the Intrepid with the Concorde and other more exciting outings that you folks would enjoy so we can showcase our passion in different ways.

All of you are more than welcome to invite all of your aviation friends to come out Saturdays and Sundays throughout the month at the airports or at other events. Just remember that everyone will need to sign a release form saying that they have no problem being filmed and so forth.

Either way, I haven't had the chance to get out as much as I'd like to and I'm excited to join you folks as much as I can now that my time has freed up a bit.

If you folks plan on coming out or if you have any questions, just shoot me an email or discuss in the forum's General Discussion thread.

Look for more detailed information and spotting schedules in the coming weeks.

Take care all,

-Phil
[email protected]

cancidas
2005-06-08, 11:23 PM
just like last time, you can count me in phil. i just need to know definites a week in advance to get the days off.

Steven Holzinger
2005-06-09, 10:32 AM
Looks like I'll have to make the trip up there at least one of those weekends... heck, I should have my new camera by then so it'd be good camera practice!

jakbar
2005-06-09, 11:33 AM
I'll be available every weekend except the weekend of Juily 2-3 and also July 9. I'll be in Arizona during that time. But otherwise count me in for being out there with the gang. This is gonna be way cool!

Futterman
2005-06-09, 11:50 AM
Now if there's one thing that'll make a cop come over to Planeview Park, this'll be it. :)

I believe I'm good most weekends as well. This'll be wild.

Brian

IslipWN
2005-06-09, 01:59 PM
hmm can someone say...ISP!?!?! That will teach 'em a lesson to mess with us aviation enthusiasts.

UrbanExplorer222
2005-06-09, 04:09 PM
awesome. just in time for my new cam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MarkLawrence
2005-06-09, 08:08 PM
Maybe as part of the program, you guys need them to get to pay for a trip to the end of a line of one of the flights...and...film the enthusiasts there....like...a Song flight...to..umm...where....ummm...err...ehhh...We st Palm Beach???...lol...

Steven Holzinger
2005-06-09, 09:03 PM
I was thinking of heading up on July 16-17, if that works out for you guys.

DNA
2005-06-10, 08:23 AM
I will going away on July 8 and back on July 24. Hope I can be part of you guys.
Dave :lol:

Conor Clancy
2005-06-10, 08:33 AM
This sounds really cool! I'm free for most of July.

cancidas
2005-06-10, 10:25 AM
phil one more thing, i have this managment class to attend in KCLT for work. not sure when it's going to be yet but it's going to drag me away from the city for a few days. will keep you posted all on the altest developments.

Art at ISP
2005-06-21, 08:22 PM
Why not take them to the Cradle of Aviation Museum for background on the area??? Lots of good information on Long Island/ NYC in aviation history.

Funny though they have no mention of Zahns Airport, where I learned to fly many many years ago :)

T-Bird76
2005-06-21, 08:40 PM
Oh you'll know I'll be there Phil..lol

PhilDernerJr
2005-06-22, 03:45 AM
Why not take them to the Cradle of Aviation Museum for background on the area??? Lots of good information on Long Island/ NYC in aviation history.

Not a bad idea. I just wonder who would be willing to go out all the way out there. It's a bit of a trek for the city folk.

moose135
2005-06-22, 08:42 AM
[quote="Art at ISP":6a425]Why not take them to the Cradle of Aviation Museum for background on the area??? Lots of good information on Long Island/ NYC in aviation history.

Not a bad idea. I just wonder who would be willing to go out all the way out there. It's a bit of a trek for the city folk.[/quote:6a425]

I wouldn't mind - I live out on the Island, and have been to the Cradle a bunch of times. Let me know.

FlyingColors
2005-06-27, 08:35 PM
Hey Phil

Any dates yet?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? (that is, for the filming...)

I wanna make it too!!!

Mike :wink:

FlyingColors
2005-07-02, 02:20 PM
Come on Phil....

I KNOW your reading this!

Some of us working folks could use a bit of notice to make it happen.

PhilDernerJr
2005-07-02, 09:25 PM
Well, I can only try to get the crew out if I know we are going to have a decent amount of people out there. Otherwise, I can't waste their time to only film two or three people.

That is why I made the other thread asking about people coming out this weekend. If people show interest, then I can go ahead and get the crew out to film us.

So until I know who can come, I can't really say for sure if/when the film crew is coming.

NIKV69
2005-07-05, 08:50 AM
hmm can someone say...ISP!?!?! That will teach 'em a lesson to mess with us aviation enthusiasts.

Joe I would rather fly into FRG thatn ISP! We should being the cameras to ISP and film the cops trying to lock us up.

mirrodie
2005-07-07, 11:46 AM
Phil, is the crew looking for particular times?

Is the summer just generally a bad time to get a group together? Would the fall be better?

just a suggestion?

PhilDernerJr
2005-07-07, 12:58 PM
July was chosen by the production company because that's when they and their crew are free.

We've hit a speed bump with the documentary, though. A little my fault, a little their fault, but the biggest challenge of the documentary for us has been planning. It's difficult because we never know what spot we are going to be at ahead of time, and we also cannot control the weather. So if we say "we'll do it the weekend of the 2nd and 3rd" and then it rains, then we've wasted the time of the camera and sound crew.....and on top of the time issue, they still have to be paid. A total waste.

So before this weekend, I communicated that I was not sure if we would have many people out with the 4th of July weekend and such, so it was put off. Then, the sound guy went away out of country on vacation.

So now, filming cannot occur for a least a couple weeks until he returns, and we will pick up with this from there. It looks like we should be filming the last weekend in July and the first two of August.

I agree, Mirrodie, that summer months are not the greatest for spotting, and therefore for filming us spotting. However, we have to do what we can soon. We can't have the crews sit on their hands for months until the time is right for us, unfortunately. They have other projects to work on as well.

I'm sorry about putting this off like this guys. Either way, obviously, we should still go out and spot as much as we all can like we would have whether filming was going on or not. I don't think this will affect us all that much anyway.

Thanks, guys.

Steven Holzinger
2005-07-07, 11:21 PM
I'm still coming up from the 16-17 anyway regardless.

cancidas
2005-07-14, 07:08 PM
phil, do you have any plansto take your crew out this weekend? i'm finally available...

IslipWN
2005-07-14, 11:01 PM

Joe I would rather fly into FRG thatn ISP! We should being the cameras to ISP and film the cops trying to lock us up.

We should do that. Than maybe they will realize that there is nothing wrong with what we are doing and ISP will be a free airport again!

mirrodie
2005-07-20, 09:06 AM
well, keep us abreast (like Pam Anderson) of the likely next dates, OK?

ttys, mjc

FlyingColors
2005-07-31, 09:30 PM
Well, its the 31st...July has come and gone.

A very busy one for most here.

How about in the fall for filming?