PDA

View Full Version : Hi

Wingman
2005-06-06, 04:23 PM
I came across this website a few days ago while looking for some videos of LGA and JFK. I'm a long time spotter and aviation enthusiast. I was a member in other aviation related boards, but when I stopped here I liked what I saw. My name's Steve. You can call me SteveO.

Spotting is among some of my favorite things to do, aviation wise. Other than that, listening to ATC and taking pics is fun too. I checked out the McGuire Air Show yesterday which was cool. Perhaps I'll see some of the people on this board while out spotting. I do most of my spotting at airports around here in New Jersey. If I find out about some good spotting areas in JFK and LGA I'd definitely be willing to give it a shot and drive over.

See you around!

Futterman
2005-06-06, 06:29 PM
Hey Steve! :)

Nice to hear you see something 'different' in this site, we're happy to have you around. Phil D.'s got lots of great videos from the New York airports, so you've found the right place for sure.

All of us love to spot (hence the site), at both airshows and airports. A bunch of us were actually at McGuire yesterday for the show, so it's too bad we didn't know you'd be around there as well.

NYCA has a lot in store for the future, thing's you'll most definitely appreciate, so stay tuned and keep looking up!

Brian

LGA777
2005-06-06, 09:17 PM
Hi Steve, welcome to the site, sent you where looking for LGA/JFK videos, I have a pretty big collection from the
late 80's thru mid 90's of both LGA and JFK on Hi 8 format. We are hoping to have a video
get together this summer somewhere in the NYC area that migh interest you .

Again Welcome to NYCAviation.com

Ron Peel

IslipWN
2005-06-06, 11:49 PM
Can someone please tell me a way to get to Planeview park from where ever? I am very interested in going there but don't know how toget there.

Thanks vm

Joe

jakbar
2005-06-07, 10:02 AM
Take the Grand Central Parkway westbound towards the city. Go past LGA (on the right) and take the exit for the Marine Air Terminal. Once you get to the first light, turn left and go over the overpass that crosses the Grand Central. At the next light (at the other end of the overpass), turn left. On your right will be a field that we call "Landing Lights Park" because the landing lights for 04 are in the park. Keep going another couple of hundred feet, and Planeview Park is on your left on the other side of the street. It's a small park, but there are signs in the park that say "Planeview Park". It is very hard to miss.

Futterman
2005-06-07, 10:13 AM
Josh, after the overpass you don't turn left...you make the first allowable right.

Just follow the signs for the Marine Air Terminal or the College of Aeronautics.

So, in short, like Josh said, take the GCP to LGA (exit for the MAT) and make a left to go over the overpass. But keep heading straight until 23rd Ave, where you'll make a right (there'll also be a light and a sign for the College of Aeronautics). Head down this road, the park is on the corner of 23rd and Ditmars (on your right).

It's literally right next to the college, and across the street from the bus depot.

Brian

jakbar
2005-06-07, 10:24 AM
Brian, we're talking about different exits. I've suggested taking the exit for that MAT that is past Planeview Park. All the times I have ever driven this route, it is a left to go over the overpass, and then another left immediately after the overpass. Where are you coming up with a right turn?

Futterman
2005-06-07, 11:32 AM
I'm talking about the exit right by the Mobil Station and the Marina. It's actually the entrance to the airport, but you can make a left to the overpass instead of a right to loop around into the parking area.

I see what you're describing now, as well...both are plausable ways.

jakbar
2005-06-07, 11:50 AM
So, in short, like Josh said, take the GCP to LGA (exit for the MAT) and make a right to go over the overpass.

This, I believe, is what is incorrect. If you go right at the overpass, you will end up in the airport. I think what you meant to say is that if you take the exit near the Mobil station (and near the Officer Yum Bridge), you would turn LEFT at the light, then head over the overpass until you take a RIGHT at the second light. Follow that road to Planeview Park, which will be on your right. These directions are based on taking the exit that is one exit before the exit that I was referring to in my prior post.

In any event, I think that it is now clear how you get to Planeview Park.

Josh

Futterman
2005-06-07, 01:38 PM
I just edited my post, thanks for pointing that out, Josh.

However we get there, there's one helluva need to put these directions up on the site, that's for sure!! :)

So, SteveO, this Planeview Park is a great (legitimate) place to spot arrivals on runway 4 or departures on runway 22 at LGA. This spot will be THE place to be just about every weekend between July 9 and August 27. Again, keep checking out the homepage for more detailed information on this and other spots at both airports in the near future.

Brian

IslipWN
2005-06-07, 04:50 PM
Thanks very much guys! I will definitely check it out when I get back!

NIKV69
2005-06-27, 06:50 PM
Thanks very much guys! I will definitely check it out when I get back!

Nice Joe! I am glad to see you going to another airport besides ISP! :o

fly.mcs
2005-07-04, 12:49 AM
Welcome to the Forum Steve! I'm new here myself actually. And as you put it, there's something different about this message board. This is why I like it, too! The only other message board I'm a member of is jetphotos.net.