PDA

View Full Version : Strange a/c, strange pattern

cancidas
2005-06-06, 12:14 AM
this morning (sunday) at about 0020 i was waslking to the bodega and noticed a 747 flying north, i'd guess that he was heading out of JFK. his altitude was maybe 8000 AGL. now, the actives at JFK at that point in time were the 22s, and i called a freind who was working there and told me that he didn't see any a/c depart on anything but the 22's. this 747 was all white, nicely lit up on the clear night it was but had no lights, with the exception of it's beacon, on at the time. i can't say what variant of a 747 it was, but the shape was unmistakable. it was flyign a heading of about 040 but had it taken off from JFK on 22 the standard DP would ahve taken it out over the ocean, south. i guess we'll just all be left wondering.

Matt Molnar
2005-06-06, 01:19 AM
I think I found it...

Asiana 221, JFK-ANC, a 744, took off from runway 22 at 0019, then within a minute of take off as soon as it crossed Rockaway Peninsula, made a sharp right turn to the northwest, proceeding over Brooklyn, western Queens and Manhattan.

http://www4.passur.com/jfk.html

Put in June 5, 00:19, click Start and you'll see it. :)

PhilDernerJr
2005-06-06, 01:40 AM
Wow, good call Gotham.

Futterman
2005-06-06, 09:52 AM
I was just going to suggest Asiana as well.

Josh, Eric Dunetz (and his brother) and myself were on the Belt at about 10PM Sunday. They were landing 13L and we saw an Asiana 744 come in.

Brian

cancidas
2005-06-06, 10:30 AM
but why didn't she have any lights on?

Matt Molnar
2005-06-06, 02:51 PM
This is pure speculation because I have no idea what the law is, but maybe they were breaking overnight noise restrictions by climbing over densely populated areas and didn't want anyone to see who was making all the racket?

cancidas
2005-06-08, 12:07 AM
gotham... the full moon defeated that, if it actually was the thier true cause. from hat a few sources at JFK tell me there were a few major sensative articles being shipped overseas out of JFK that night, could have been on that plane. then again, you're left to wonder who would fly over a populated area with an airplane full of stuff that might go boom. it reminds me of a story a 747-100 FE once told me. he was working for a major carrier who did a lot of freight charters for the USAF. in this case, it was a plane full of patriot missles, though the crew did not know until they landed in Japan. as they were exiting the flight deck they stumbled upon a piece of paper that stated the following: HIGHGLY EXPLOSIVE MATERIALS. OVERFLIGHT OF POPULATED AREAS PROHIBITED.

oops...