PDA

View Full Version : LGA Baggage Handler Naps, Ends Up in Detroit

Matt Molnar
2005-06-04, 01:14 PM
Baggage Handler Takes Nap at 30,000 Feet
(New York-WABC, June 4, 2005) — A baggage handler at LaGuardia airport got quite a surprise after taking a nap in an empty cargo bin of a Spirit Airlines plane.

The unnamed handler woke up 90 minutes later in Detroit.

Workers in Detroit couldn't believe their eyes when they saw the drowsy luggage loader in the cargo bin. It's clear every bin in the plane's cargo was not checked before takeoff, as required.

The U.S. Transportation Security Administration is investigating.

It was 32 degrees inside the plane's cargo hold during the flight.

PhilDernerJr
2005-06-04, 01:44 PM
But the flight to Detroit isn't a 90 minute flight, is it?

I'm confused about how he could have slept through that. The departure, the cold. Sure he didn't just wake up inside it mid-flight?

cancidas
2005-06-04, 09:17 PM
he was in the rear bin, among a dog or two. that's beside the point though as the rear bin is always heated. anyway, we were having a great laugh at this guy's expense in the office yesterday. our fueling ssupervisors knows the guy... what a moron!!

Novanglus
2005-06-05, 04:40 AM
Security at our lcoal airports is a major issue. Stories like this are almost sad.

I hope this guy got fired.

cancidas
2005-06-05, 11:42 AM
my nderstanding is that that one guy in particular will get fired but the others assigned to the flight are in trouble too. obviously, nobody checked the cargo bin before departure. well it's either that nobody cecked or they intentionally left the guy in there.

IslipWN
2005-06-05, 04:24 PM
LOL what a story! That would be pretty weird waking up during take off in a cargo hold or waking up in flight wondering where you are .