PDA

View Full Version : Users browsing this forum

Futterman
2005-05-25, 03:20 PM
I've been thinking about a feature that some other forums have which tells you who's in what forum or viewing which post.

Just noticed the "Users browsing this forum: ______" addition at the top of every forum. Might be a little creepy at times, but it's a nice way to validate yourself knowing who (might be) looking at your posts. :wink:

Great work, however small...

Brian

PhilDernerJr
2005-05-25, 03:50 PM
That feature has been there since the very start of these boards by default.

It is something that a lot of people miss, however.

Glad you like it. :)

Futterman
2005-05-25, 04:29 PM
Haha :)

Hey, at least I don't mispell stuff in a thread about the spell checker. :wink:

Brian

PhilDernerJr
2005-05-25, 04:32 PM
I did that on purpose to shwo the IMPORTANCE of using our new and amazing feature.

jakbar
2005-05-25, 05:50 PM
I did that on purpose to shwo the IMPORTANCE of using our new and amazing feature.

And you did it again there, too, right? :)

PhilDernerJr
2005-05-25, 05:53 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Ok, I have officially changed my rank in accordance.

Mike
2005-05-25, 10:39 PM
Oh my god, priceless :-D

jakbar
2005-09-02, 04:21 PM
How come I have never -- not once -- been able to get this feature working? All I ever see when I am browsing a forum is this "Users browsing this forum: none". Am I required to click somewhere to activate this feature?

Futterman
2005-09-02, 04:43 PM
Wow, old thread. :)

I, too, rarely have any users listed...curious as to how to get it working.

jakbar
2005-09-02, 04:45 PM
I know it is an old thread, but I figured I'd revive an existing one rather than start a new thread on the same topic. But hopefully our fearless leader can offer some insight into this issue.

PhilDernerJr
2005-09-02, 04:49 PM
I think it's because it only shows someone as browsing the forum when they are on the page of the thread listing or reading the actual thread. I would assume that most of a person's time is spent typing out messages, compared to the reading of them.

So I guess it's just a matter of catching the people during that brief time that they are reading the threads.

Keep in mind we usually only have about 2-6 people logged in at a given time. Some might be typing something out, reading a forum different than yours, or siting on the index page while having walked away from their computer.

Futterman
2005-09-02, 04:53 PM
That's all fine and good, but WAIT! There's more...

Sometimes when I browse a forum, it shows the active users as just "Futterman" (plus whoever else is there). Other times, I see "none", even though I'm right there. I don't remember attending any of Senga's cloning classes, so there might be some glitch in that feature seeing as it's fairly inconsistent. Any ideas?

PhilDernerJr
2005-09-02, 04:57 PM
Honestly, I'm not sure about that.

Maybe Mike can ring in and let us know about that.

jakbar
2005-09-02, 04:58 PM
That's all fine and good, but WAIT! There's more...

Sometimes when I browse a forum, it shows the active users as just "Futterman" (plus whoever else is there). Other times, I see "none", even though I'm right there. I don't remember attending any of Senga's cloning classes, so there might be some glitch in that feature seeing as it's fairly inconsistent. Any ideas?

I have that exact same experience. And, no, I have no clones either.