PDA

View Full Version : Here We Go: America West and US Airways Merge

PhilDernerJr
2005-05-20, 04:33 PM
America West Press Release (http://www.americawest.com/aboutawa/companyprofile/usair/us_pressrelease.htm)

Well, we've all heard the rumors,a dn it's nice to see this being confirmed. Looks like US Airways will make it after all.

What are the big selling points of these two airline merging? What are the problems that they will be facing?

What changes can we expect to see, if at all, in route structure?

Seems like the color scheme will just adapt to that of US Airways, but I hear there might be the issue of the dark blue fading in the intense sun of the west.

Your thoughts?

jakbar
2005-05-20, 06:07 PM
The current combined route map is largely unintelligible: http://161.58.184.45/merger/pdf/HP-USCombinedRouteMap.pdf.

Having grown up in Arizona, I for one will be sad to see AWA's logo disappear from the skies. I really love their 757s with the special schemes (Diamondbacks, Cardinals, Teamwork: Coast to Coast, Ohio, Arizona, Nevada).

Conor Clancy
2005-05-20, 07:14 PM
So now we'll be seeing US Airways at all of the New York Airports.

T-Bird76
2005-05-20, 11:18 PM
I'm not sure what to make of this, both airlines don't score high with travelers, US is still losing money like some left the water running, AWA is worth next to nothing and facing cash problems themselves. Its like taking two crappie airlines and making one crappie airline. One also must think that US is counting on UAL going under, its almost a slap in the face to their code share which was highly touted as the perfect West/East coast alliance. It will be very interesting to see if they can pull this off. For the employees sake I hope they do.

jakbar
2005-05-21, 01:43 PM
I wouldn't say AWA is "worth next to nothing." They've had their share of difficulties in the past, but they have really turned things around with Doug Parker at the reins, and their image is returning to a more favorable position in Arizona and the rest of the West Coast. Parker is a real savvy guy, and he wouldn't be pushing for this merger if there wasn't something positive that could come of it. I'm glad he will lead the "new" US Airways.

This merger is gonna take some time to get used to for a lot of West Coast people....US Airways currently has such a small presence out there, while AWA is huge. It'll definitely be weird to go the roof of the parking garage at Terminal 4 at PHX and see nothing but US Airways planes parked at the gates.

LGA777
2005-05-21, 02:32 PM
I have lot's of comments and replies re: this personal for me merger but no
time to type them all at the moment. Look for my first nycaviation.com editorial type reply in the next 24-36 hours !

Cheers

LGA777

USAF Pilot 07
2005-05-23, 02:04 AM
So will the AWA logo disappear and be replaced with US Airways' logo?

When will this start to happen?

I have reservations on AWA for June 5th and June 10th.

Will anything change with respect to my times etc..?

Tom_Turner
2005-05-26, 06:28 PM
I hope they work this out.

It would be good to see USAir survive. They seem to have suffered some very bad decisions as well as some bad luck, but their employees still seem to work very hard and always have.

Would seem they need a hub in the middle of the country somewhere, but most are taken. I suppose an imperfect one might be St Louis.