PDA

View Full Version : Good Day At JFK on the 16th

AAGold
2005-05-17, 11:09 AM
Jay Selman and I spent the better part of the day at JFK on Monday the 16th and ended up getting some pretty nice stuff even if the day started badly.

Jay wanted to get the SAA A340 inbound, an early arrival, so we left hoping to make it in time even though it was very gray. Landing on the 4s we went to Bayswater and got there in just the nick of time to see the SAA taxi to the gate. We'd missed her. For the next few hours it alternated between brightening up and getting really dismal, even dripped on us for a little while, but we stuck it out. We managed to catch the Varig 777 with the 75 year sticker, nice. An Atlas full colors inbound. The Cathay 74 departing (surely a reject because of "bad fence" with that new fence they put up last year). We got an all white 74 with a B registration. Turned out to have the Dragon call sign so maybe there is hope we will get one with colors one day. An El Al 74 all white with titles inbound to 04.

We were sticking it out at Bayswater waiting for the arrival of the ANA 777, but 10 minutes before it was due they switched to the 22s. We immediately left for a new spot hoping we wouldn't be too late. A quick phone call to find out she was at 19,000 feet gave us hope. We made it just in time. Walking out the the viewing area we see her coming in and grab a few shots then notice she's not descending anymore, she's climbing. A go around ... nice, espcially since it was the ANA Star Alliance.

We continued to shoot the 22 arrivals and thanks to what appeared to be a good crosswind we even got some mild banking shots from a few of the heavies inbound. Aeroflot added a new flight that comes in mid-day so no more waiting until 6 to catch her. We also go the JAL 74 new colors with the large Yakosa Japan stickers, and ANA cargo, AF 773, and Emirates with the soccer sticker, and the LTU.

All things considered a pretty good day for shooting.

Art

PhilDernerJr
2005-05-18, 02:43 AM
Wow, AF with a 773 as well? Extra bonus.

Sounds like a fun day. I'm hoping to do that one day in the near future as well.

Did Jay leave it?

Speedbird1
2005-06-14, 10:29 AM
You would have loved it back in the 80's when photographers had access to the Pan Am Roof at JFK, now Terminal 3. The view was great as you could see in all directions,so a runway change was of no consequence. Plus, you only need take the elevator down 1 floor for restrooms and restaurants, when no aircraft were coming in. Maybe you had this experience. As a bonus, the Air France Concorde was parked nearby so you could photograph the nose being drooped as well as it taxying. Unfortunately, after PanAm 103 was destroyed, the roof was closed and we found ourselves in a new world as far as aviation photography. How sad!

IslipWN
2005-06-14, 11:17 AM
Quick question about a viewing terrace at JFK. For some reason I remember my father coming back from Spain on an IB flight and remember going up top to watch his flight come in. This must have been about 10-12 years ago though. Is this real or am I just dreaming?

mikephotos
2005-06-14, 05:15 PM
Quick question about a viewing terrace at JFK. For some reason I remember my father coming back from Spain on an IB flight and remember going up top to watch his flight come in. This must have been about 10-12 years ago though. Is this real or am I just dreaming?

Top level of the Pan Am Worldport. I used to go there when I was a kid and hang out at the arcade and watch planes. Ah, those were the days....

Mike

Futterman
2005-06-14, 05:19 PM
Top level of the Pan Am Worldport. I used to go there when I was a kid and hang out at the arcade and watch planes. Ah, those were the days....

That's awesome! No wodner half the people my age these days are delinquents...

Speedbird1
2005-06-15, 10:06 AM
I literally lived up on that Pan Am roof with my friend every summer. We got unobstructed views of all of JFK and you could even see LGA operations on clear days. Photographers and scanners were welcome. There was even a place to get a "tan". It closed after the PanAm 103 explosion only to later re-open with all views blocked by barbed wire layers. Glad some of you have memories of that place. It was "hallowed" ground to enthusiasts.