PDA

View Full Version : How Is Inwood Country Club...

Futterman
2005-04-30, 10:56 AM
...as an alternative to Bayswater?

When it rains (especially) or I'm dragging my mom along as a ride, Bayswater is not the best to trekk through when stuff is happening on the 4s or 22s.

I remember hearing Dunetz and others talk about shooting at this golf course, so is it any good? Do they chase you away? Where exactly do you go? Do you have to let anybody know you'll be there?

Thanks guys,
Brian

eric8669
2005-04-30, 12:14 PM
I did not shoot from the Country Club myself, That guy John Litner from chicago got permission to shoot there. Its looks like a pretty good location if we could get on to the grounds.

Eric

jakbar
2005-04-30, 03:23 PM
Eric...is it Inwood PARK that you've been shooting from lately?

eric8669
2005-04-30, 03:28 PM
Yup, some of my lastest shots are from Inwood Park, Its not a bad place to shoot.

jakbar
2005-04-30, 04:14 PM
Would you mind giving directions to where you shoot from? I've never been there, but would of course love to try a new location....

FlyingColors
2005-04-30, 07:22 PM
Josh,

Just get on Sheridan Blvd, just like going to Mott Ave, but turn on to , er, Roger Ave or its Bayview Ave. There is a small green park sign and its the street that has a gas station on the corner. I think its a Sunoco. Go to the end, super easy.

Mike

Futterman
2005-04-30, 07:30 PM
Haha...John Lightner...the only guy I've met who opts to shoot Costco arrivals with a Nikkor 75-300, leaving his 600/4 sitting on a tripod!

I guess Inwood PARK would be the better bet, I'll/we'll have to check it out some time. I had just been looking at maps and only saw the country club...will have to look closer...

Brian

Tom_Turner
2005-04-30, 10:03 PM
Inwood Park is good location to add when you need it, but its only for 31L arrivals.

Which means a heck of a lot of Delta 767s...though any given day you'll get a few others.

A couple of things to keep in mind about Inwood as well: (relatively) narrow field to shoot (although we're used to that I guess - have to take what you can get), a couple practice shots to get used to the power lines as well.

Also, on rare occasions you'll be treated to the ever sunny disposition of the octogenerian Miss Long Island at the front gate and she won't want you to use the park if you can't show preferred residency :roll:

In my opinion this park is a supreme Spotter Blotter moment waiting to happen. - doesn't mean I won't use it of course, but there you have it.

You'll need the golf course to replace Bayswater.

Futterman
2005-04-30, 10:05 PM
Well, Tom, if it's good for 31L arrivals, am I right to assume that it works for 13R departures?

Tom_Turner
2005-04-30, 10:16 PM
You'd think so, but your percentages go down significantly for 13R departures as opposed to Bayswater.

The aircraft break off left, right and sometimes straight out of 13R, but mostly to right it seems..putting you on the wrong side of the sun at Inwood..as you know some of the aircraft break too soon even for Bayswater.

I don't doubt there must be some opportunity for good 13R departures at Inwood, but I'd expect mostly straight belly shots every 4th or 5th departure..but I could be wrong. Never gave it shot really.

I can definitely remember though, the AN-225 and an Aeroflot IL-76 shooting straight out before. Maybe they would've been good to get Inwood now that you bring that up.

jakbar
2005-04-30, 10:45 PM
Also, on rare occasions you'll be treated to the ever sunny disposition of the octogenerian Miss Long Island at the front gate and she won't want you to use the park if you can't show preferred residency :roll:

Good thing I've got my Nassau County Parks card! :)

Eric got a couple of really nice departure shots from Inwood Park recently, so I definitely want to try it some day.

Tom_Turner
2005-04-30, 10:57 PM
I see those now Josh. SAA A340, etc.. Yeah, they do look good! :D