PDA

View Full Version : A380 First Flight Tonight

Matt Molnar
2005-04-26, 09:10 PM
If you don't know by now, the maiden flight has been confirmed for 10:30am France time Wednesday, which is 4:30am ET. Anyone staying up? I really wanted to see it, but I have an interview tomorrow at 10am, so I'll probably have to watch it on tape.

IslipWN
2005-04-26, 09:18 PM
what channel will it be on?? I will definately stay up!! Is this on A.net? I must have missed the thread.

Matt Molnar
2005-04-26, 09:28 PM
Who knows if there will be any live coverage in the states? Here are some channels available on Time Warner Digital that might carry the takeoff..

CNN (10) (Lou Dobbs Tonight repeat scheduled)
CNBC (15) (CNBC World simulcast)
MSNBC (43) (Hardball with Chris Matthews repeat scheduled)
FOX News (46) (O'Reilly Factor repeat scheduled)
News World International (103) (German Journal scheduled)
Bloomberg (104) (Bloomberg on the Markets scheduled)
CNN International (133) (Larry King Live scheduled)
CNBC World (139) (Euro Morning Exchange scheduled)

Long shots:
CBS Up To The Minute and CBS Morning News (2)
ABC World News Now and ABC World News This Morning (7)
BBC America (106)

I would try CNBC World first as it seems the most likely and I'm pretty sure they covered the A380 first rollout a couple months ago. Any of the others might pleasantly surprise us, of course. If you have Cablevision or a dish, better to search for those channels now rather than 4:30. :)

IslipWN
2005-04-26, 11:19 PM
I would think that CNN is going to do a live report on it. They have an article on it.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TRAVEL/04/26/bt ... index.html (http://www.cnn.com/2005/TRAVEL/04/26/bt.airbus.ap/index.html)

But they don't say anything about a live report. :?:

Joe

IslipWN
2005-04-26, 11:21 PM
I just hope the winds dont change! They wont let it take off if it has to go over the town. itts too risky.

IslipWN
2005-04-27, 07:23 AM
Here is the video for anyone who hasnt seen it yet!

http://www.airbus.com/a380/seeing/discover/index.aspx

Steps:
go to the top right corner and click on 27 avril 2005 A380 SUCCESSFULLY TAKES TO THE SKIES and than they will show pics on the left side. than click on videos. and they will ask high or low resolution.

Simply Amazing! :shock:

PhilDernerJr
2005-04-27, 01:13 PM
I got home at about 2:40AM and started playing ont he computer and ended up staying awake to watch the flight on some link that I got on the Anet boards.

Very impressive to see. I know it was empty, but that thing took off with power and went UP.

Conor Clancy
2005-04-27, 02:29 PM
I don't think the size of it ever hit me until I saw her in proportion to all of the spotters.

T-Bird76
2005-04-27, 10:24 PM
Must say she was very graceful in the air, looking forward to flying her.

NIKV69
2005-04-27, 11:25 PM
I personally think the 380 is the most horrible looking thing in the air. I still think when is all said and done this thing will be a loser for Airbus. There aren't that many carriers that can use it and airports are not quick to do what has to be done to accomadate it. Let's wait till all the test flights are done. I still remember a new 320 flying into a forest and crashing during a routine low speed gear down fly by in France. I still prefer the 747 any day of the week.

PhilDernerJr
2005-04-28, 12:13 AM
I dont thinkt aht AF A320 was a test flight. I thought it was at an airshow.

As for the A380, keep in mind that the 787 is still being designed and not under construction yet, and it already has more orders than the test-flight A380 does. I think that's a bad sign for Airbus.

Read my January 18 Blog entry to see my other views about the A380.

Futterman
2005-04-28, 12:25 AM
As for the A380, keep in mind that the 787 is still being designed and not under construction yet, and it already has more orders than the test-flight A380 does. I think that's a bad sign for Airbus.

True, but I'm also assuming that the 787s aren't coming off at $250 million a pop, like the A380. I've heard that both Airbus and Boeing have broken even in terms of sales (or are at least in the midst of doing so).

And how many of the '87 orders are firm?

Besides, they are designed for totally different niches--hub/spoke versus point-to-point. They should each accumulate a hefty number of orders in due time...the only thing is that the number of orders the manufacturers publicize is always WAY too optimistic...

PhilDernerJr
2005-04-28, 12:57 AM
I just don't see the demand for a SUPER jumbo like that.

It's so limiting to have a plane that size that only 10 airports around the world can handle.

What are they gonna do after it has its first crash, God forbid? 600 souls gone, for what? Because they wanted to consolidate three flights into one?

NIKV69
2005-04-28, 06:29 AM
Your right Phil, it was an airshow, but it was a brand new 320 that was doing a low speed manuver and it was found that poor design was the cause of the crash. Though it is rumored that the CVR was switched and the genuine CVR was nevfer found this paragraph basically sums it up.

OEB 19/1 (May 1988): Engine Acceleration Deficiency at Low Altitude. This means that it was already known before the accident that the engines sometimes did not respond normally to the pilot's commands on the Airbus A320. However Air France did not inform their pilots about this anomaly. After the Habsheim accident, the engines have been modified (OEB 19/2, August 1988).

Another reason that I avoid Airbus.