PDA

View Full Version : suggestions for the site

cancidas
2005-04-24, 10:11 AM
phil, could it be possible that you creat a "my photos" sectiosn for members to post mostly candid shots form spotting trips or just when you're hanging out at the airport. my idea isn't for members to post a.net style pix, but more along the lines of the pix i have of my fueling the blue angels and air force a-10s that i want to share. is this at all a possibility?

http://nycaviation.com/pichost/me_fueling_blue_angels_ksns.jpg

http://nycaviation.com/pichost/me_fueling_a10_ksns.jpg

jakbar
2005-04-24, 07:19 PM
Lucky S.O.B. That's way cool. :D

PhilDernerJr
2005-04-24, 08:47 PM
Something like that just isn't something that I'm technically able to create. The board's template doesn't really allow for that.

Maybe int he future as we get other member features on the site, off this board, I cna do something like that.

USAF Pilot 07
2005-04-25, 01:38 AM
This would also probably force Phil to purchase a ton of space and bandwith so that everyone could see the pics...

Nice pics BTW.

USAF Pilot 07
2005-04-25, 01:41 AM
We could also probably just start a thread (use this one perhaps) to link to pics...

IslipWN
2005-04-26, 09:23 PM
You should add a photo upload feature on this website. something like a.net. where you uplaod, and screeners sort thru them, and than they may or maynot get on the database.

jakbar
2005-04-26, 10:08 PM
You should add a photo upload feature on this website. something like a.net. where you uplaod, and screeners sort thru them, and than they may or maynot get on the database.

And who's gonna pay for the server space?

I don't think Phil is trying to turn this website into a replica of a.net. At least, I hope he's not.

IslipWN
2005-04-27, 12:03 AM
I dont mean photos from all over the world, I just mean photos from JFK/LGA/ISP/HPN/ALB/SYR/ROC and basically all other NY airports.

Just NY photos.

PhilDernerJr
2005-04-27, 02:50 AM
One thing I said to myself when I decided to create this site is "I don't want to make a site that competes with Airliners.net."

Though your idea is good, one problem is server space. The provider that this site is hosted on is great, but such a feature would put a lot of strain on the bandwidth. Space is not a problem at all, I can fit a lot of photos on here, but it's the bandwidth that's the issue.

the other thing is al the effort that would be required...and for what? It's much more beneficial to a photographer to upload their photos to Airliners.net or JetPhotos.net for reasons of exposure, standardization and jsut the fact that it's a better site.

I have other features that I'm hoping to implement that I think will be much more beneficial to all of us.

I love the ideas folks. Keep them coming :)

Fly1346
2005-04-29, 08:23 PM
You can also try to put a 'DONATION' button which is linked with paypal. Just a way to collect funds for the site!

PhilDernerJr
2005-04-30, 02:36 PM
You can also try to put a 'DONATION' button which is linked with paypal. Just a way to collect funds for the site!

That's not a bad idea. I just wonder who would actually donate.

I said that to Futterman and he said "There's only one way to find out."

Good point.