PDA

View Full Version : NYC Trip May 12-16th

Mr Smith
2005-04-21, 02:04 AM
well i thought i'd post my travel plan on here to seeing i will be in the fantastic city of New York! i leave Aus on thursday week the 28th april.

i'll be arriving on 12th may at some stupid hour and staying at the Doubletree JFK for that night.

13th is a friday, yes friday the 13th it is! i am using this day to do some museums and get my fisheye lens.

14th is the saturday and i was wondering who would like to start the day with an intrepid tour? then head out to Jfk or Lga perhaps? followed by a dinner and some booze! booze = alcohol in Australia! if we skip intrepid and weather permitting i'll make my way to Howard Beach station like i did last year. if someone is good enough to collect me from there it'd be fabulous. all we need to do is set a time and stick to it! ;)

15th sunday i am hoping to either get to Jfk and Lga or both, pretty much the same deal as the 13th, i can get to you guys if someone can pick me up from a station nearby.

my cell phone will be with me but not accepting incoming calls, only SMS/text messages. even then i am sceptical cos my carrier is a piece of crap! or you can leave a message at the hotel for me.

which is

Jersey City Hyatt 13th may to 14th may fone 201 469 1234
Jersey City Courtyard 14th to 15th cos the above was a pain in the ass to get off priceline to get on a saturday too! :( lucky its a mile around the corner only! fone 201 626 6600
back to the Jersey city Hyatt on the 15th

my cell fone is
+61438747376 you gotta include the + sign to send me the SMS! or i won't get it!

so i guess thats about it, this is more for the benefit of people who don't wish to spend $15 to talk on a.net or can't reply there. hope to meet all the new faces and catchup with some old ones! :D and maybe take a dip in the atlantic too! ;)

regards

mont

jakbar
2005-04-21, 06:31 PM
Monty...I've got the dates of your trip on my calendar, so I'm definitely planning on getting out there that weekend. I've got a car, so I'll probably be available to give you a ride if no one else closer to where you'll be can pick you up.

I'll be up for whatever that weekend...Intrepid/LGA/JFK/dinner/NYC...it's all good. It's just fun getting together with all of our buddies and having a good time.

I know we're all looking forward to having you in town...it should be fun!

Josh

Mr Smith
2005-04-21, 08:01 PM
good stuff Josh! look forward to it and hopefully air canada wont have any nasty suprises like they did 2 weeks ago with my ANV-YVR flight, robbed me of a day in ANC because they cancelled the flight.

well i got washing to do and start getting stuff sorted for this 4 week journey, like futt said i should just buy a place in the US! :D save alot of money that way... :lol:

Futterman
2005-04-21, 08:07 PM
Hey Josh, would I still be able to get a ride? :wink:

like futt said i should just buy a place in the US!

I don't remember saying that... :shock:

Mr Smith
2005-04-21, 08:10 PM

like futt said i should just buy a place in the US!

I don't remember saying that... :shock:

i do! and if i remember it then you said it! and i don't remember much these days at all! :lol:

jakbar
2005-04-21, 08:54 PM

Probably not. I wouldn't want to put Monty through the agony of having to sit in an enclosed space with you and your big mouth. :lol:

Mr Smith
2005-04-26, 12:45 AM
just interested to know if someone can help me out here, if weather permits of course! i will hope to get out of the hotel quite early to spot with you guys. because i have to change hotels on the 14th i was thinking of hiring a car and driving to JFK, that way i can take my baggage and when i get back to Jersey City i can checkin at the other hotel.

saves stuffing around early in the morning, now my question is this.

whats the quickest way from Jersey City, Exchange Pl to be exact to Jfk, some directions would be great. i can then drive myself to JFK and maybe organise someone to meet me near the airport so i can follow them to the spotting locations etc.

so if anyone can give me directions for the route and the tolls i will need to account for this would be great! prefer to avoid Manhattan if possible but i raelise it may be faster via Manhattan, if such a route allows for that.

i was thinking of a route driving from Jersey City to Holland tunnel on to the Brookly/Queens expway then onto the Long Island expway then onto Van Wyck and on to JFK, does that sound about right?

just need to know where to go when exiting the tunnels to get onto the other xpressways!

thanks

mont

Mr Smith
2005-04-26, 02:34 AM
might not be needed after all, will wait to hear from Futt with further instructions! :D

Mr Smith
2005-05-06, 01:11 AM
hi all
i am in Anchorage currently, some of the shots i have got from here will blow a few heads! its an awesome place to photograph, makes St Maarten look like a ragtrade dump!

i am still on schedule to arrive in NYC on the 12th!

not sure whats going on about meetup etc but if someone can post it here it would be great!

cheers

mont

jakbar
2005-05-06, 09:51 AM
Hey Monty...

A lot of us are planning to get together with you on Saturday the 14th for some spotting during the day. Depending on the weather, how early do you want to get out on Saturday? Are you gonna need someone to pick you up anywhere? Better to figure that kind of thing out in advance...

Not sure what the plans are for Sunday...

Josh

Mr Smith
2005-05-09, 11:08 AM
Hi Josh
any lift would be much appreciated! i am hopiing to get out by about 1030am to the JFK area, then hopefully someone can grab me from there.

if anyone passes by EWR enroute to JFK i can probably get there pretty quickly too.

if someone names a spot to meet me i will be there. just close to JFK or EWR would be good, if anyone passes lower manhattan that's be even better! :)

let me know

cheers mont

jakbar
2005-05-11, 12:27 PM
Monty, when you get to town, why don't you give me a call on Friday and we can figure out a plan for Saturday. I'm happy to pick you up in the JFK area.

I'm sending you an e-mail with my cell phone number. [edit: I realize you may not be checking your e-mail. My cell number is 917-660-7871].

Josh

Mr Smith
2005-05-11, 05:33 PM
thanks Josh will call u on friday!

jakbar
2005-05-11, 11:46 PM
Great...I look forward to hearing from you. See you soon!

Josh

DNA
2005-05-12, 11:27 AM
Would like to join this. When and where are we going to meet?

eric8669
2005-05-12, 02:03 PM
I have the day off on Friday if anybody would like to meet up.

Eric

Fly1346
2005-05-12, 09:17 PM
Hey Eric, I was thinking after school hitting up LGA, from 4-7! Also depends on the runway assignments. If they are landing on 4, I will definately be at Plainview

jakbar
2005-05-12, 10:04 PM
Eric...I'm also thinking of slipping out of work early tomorrow, so I may get home around 2ish. If the weather is nice, and if the runway assignments at LGA are decent, I may head over there. I'll give you a call on your cell if I'm gonna head out.

Josh

PhilDernerJr
2005-05-13, 04:04 AM
Whether for Saturday is not looking too good, will be some thurdserstorms in the area it seems.

Mr Smith
2005-05-13, 08:05 AM
who wants to hit somewhere today with me? i am in NYC now and the weather is perfect!

anyone available? if so leave a message here or call the JFK doubletree club hotel room 517 or the Jersey City Hyatt if you call after 12. leave a message for Montague Smith and i will get back to you! leave your number importantly!

doubletree

718-276-2188

hyatt

201 469 1234

eric8669
2005-05-13, 08:20 AM
Monty,

I will be available after 1, I would be happy to do some afternoon shooting with you.

my cell number is 516-242-3720

Mr Smith
2005-05-13, 08:31 AM
consider it done, will call you soon! i will take sunday off i think and do tourist stuff and leave today and tomorrow for airport!

PhilDernerJr
2005-05-14, 07:00 AM
It's 7am on Saturday morning, and I jsut got home from work. I'm going to go to bed and will probably miss most of the day's spotting becuase everyone will already be at JFK when I wake up (probably around 11am-1pm).

However, if any of you need flight tracking, I'll be sleeping, but my comp is on and near my bed, so I can hop up to track anything if you need it real quick.

I'll be groggy so jsut get to the point so I can track it and get back to bed. :-p

...assuming I wake up.

Mr Smith
2005-05-18, 12:36 PM
happy to say i made it home safely! thanks guys for a fun time in NYC! also, Wunala is headed your way today, she left as QF107 from Sydney this arvo! not sure if it will continue to NYC but you might get lucky!

jakbar
2005-05-18, 01:03 PM
Glad you made it home safely, Monty. It was indeed a blast having you here. I know it's a long trip, but we all would certainly look forward to having you come back anytime you want.

When will we have more info about whether Wunala is headed this way?

Josh

eric8669
2005-05-18, 01:17 PM
Well it just recently departed, maybe we can contact someone in the LA area to see if Wunala is headed are way.

Eric

jakbar
2005-05-18, 02:29 PM
This would be for arrival tomorrow, right? Somebody out there has gotta know whether Wunala is continuing on to NY...

Futterman
2005-05-18, 02:33 PM
If I remember correctly, QF107 comes in on Wednesdays, Fridays, and Sundays (NYC time).

If it departed Wednesday in Sydney, I'm thinking it'll be coming in this evening. 2 hours? Please tell me I'm wrong! :?

Glad to see you're home, Monty. Now get to work on those 6,000 ANC shots, wouldja?!

Brian

eric8669
2005-05-18, 02:38 PM
Josh

When I ment it just departed I was talking about from LA. What we need to know if this is Wunala that is headed are way.

Eric

Futterman
2005-05-18, 02:40 PM
Yeah, QF107 is just about over the border between Colorado and Kansas (at 1438 local), 509kts@FL390.

1370nm to JFK, ETA 1723 +/-

Is it possible to have another aircraft (ie: not OEJ) run LAX-JFK-LAX?

jakbar
2005-05-18, 02:54 PM
Well, I wont be able to get out there in 2 1/2 hours, so I guess it doesn't matter for me anymore. :)

eric8669
2005-05-18, 08:40 PM
thanks Monty

For the info on Wunala today, QF107 came in around 5:25

Eric

Mr Smith
2005-05-18, 09:29 PM
we were side by side with Wunala all the way to Sydney from LA, could see her outside my window most of the way. i knew she was going all the way just a matter of you guys going out to see her.

jakbar
2005-05-19, 10:04 AM
we were side by side with Wunala all the way to Sydney from LA, could see her outside my window most of the way.

Get any inflight pics?

Josh

Mr Smith
2005-05-19, 05:25 PM
to dark, could just make it out as she was lower and wider of us but accelerating past us.

have done a trip report if you guys are interested in reading. i will not upload ANC shots to a.net while the que sits at close to 15000, so check them at jetphotos.net!

it's long and jammed full of photos so i am sure you'll all like it, yum gets a mention too!

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/tr ... ain/58088/ (http://www.airliners.net/discussions/trip_reports/read.main/58088/)

Mr Smith
2005-05-21, 04:12 AM
Brian
for your info, the a/c that operated QF107 on the friday that we saw was VH-OEC

Futterman
2005-05-21, 02:29 PM
Brian

I don't see how that's possible. I flew OEC three years ago--it's a 4H6 from Malaysia Airlines or something (one of the first for QF with GE engines).

We saw an ER that evening, though, and Echo Charlie is not an ER.

So it wasn't EB, EC, or VH-"I-Hate-Dunetz" OEJ. Guess again! ;)

Brian

jakbar
2005-05-21, 02:48 PM
VH-"I-Hate-Dunetz" OEJ.

Ain't that the truth. :)

(j/k Eric...)

Mr Smith
2005-05-21, 06:32 PM
Brian

I don't see how that's possible. I flew OEC three years ago--it's a 4H6 from Malaysia Airlines or something (one of the first for QF with GE engines).

We saw an ER that evening, though, and Echo Charlie is not an ER.

So it wasn't EB, EC, or VH-"I-Hate-Dunetz" OEJ. Guess again! ;)

Brian

i am trying to workout if there was a plane switch in LA or not, i don't believe there was as all QF ex JFK to Sydney depart from T4 @ LAX and there would be no plane to switch too, unless Qantas had and aircraft waiting in La at T4 for the continuation of 108. from what i am seein here QF 108 was OEC JFK-LAX-SYD on 11th may and returned to the US on 13th may as QF 149, VH-OEH was the ER that did the MEL-LAX service.

if it was an ER then it was switched at LAX to opearte QF 107 and would have been VH-OEH that we saw.

you should expect to see Wunala a bit more often too! its back doing the US sectors so i will give heads up.

Mr Smith
2005-05-21, 06:38 PM
ok here is the info i have, VH-OEC was definately the plane that we saw on the 13th! it arrived in LAX area late, just after midnight to be exact.

Futterman
2005-05-21, 08:42 PM
Unless you're getting that info from a dispatcher (and in that case I'd need the foot-in-mouth smiley), it's wrong. OEC is not an ER, and the photos I have CLEARLY show "Boeing 747-400 ER" just aft of the wing root.

I can't make out the registration, but it doesn't look like OEH (and can't be OEC)...looks like OEG.

And VH-OEG is an ER.

Brian

Mr Smith
2005-05-21, 09:43 PM
my apologies i was reading the wrong log sheet, it certainly was an ER and the aircraft was as follows.

VH-OEE (B744 QFA) 2354 20050513 QF0108 (JFK-LAX-SYD)

Futterman
2005-05-21, 09:52 PM
****mucher. haha :D

Looks better, now, good work. Looking forward to hearing more about Wunala...

Brian