Aviation News

November 13, 2011

Two Executives Shot Dead at Czech Turbolet Plane Factory

More articles by »
Written by: BNO News
Tags: , , ,

A gunman took several hostages at the Let Aircraft Industries factory in the southeastern Czech Republic on Thursday afternoon, killing two members of the Board of Directors, officials said. He then turned the gun on himself.

Entrance to the Let Aircraft Industries factory in Kunovice, Czech Republic.

Entrance to the Let Aircraft Industries factory in Kunovice, Czech Republic. (Photo by Let Aircraft Industries)

The incident began just before noon local time when the gunman opened fire at the plant in Kunovice, about 175 miles (280 km) southeast of Prague. Authorities believe the man had been hiding in one of the plant’s buildings before the incident.

The dead were both members of the company’s Board of Directors, Pavel Vach and Petr Veselý. In addition to the fatalities, one woman, who was identified as Aircraft Industries director Ilona Plšková, suffered minor injuries. She did not require hospitalization, reports said.

Police spokesman Ales Mergental said the gunman took several hostages at the building but the situation came to a dramatic end within an hour when he shot and killed two people before committing suicide. A negotiator and Special Task Force had just arrived at the scene but were unable to prevent the tragedy.

Police believe the gunman was the brother of Pavel Musela, an arms dealer and a former member of the company’s board of directors. It was not immediately clear what may have been the motive.

The aircraft factory employs around 800 people and is most known for manufacturing the twin-engine L-410 Turbolet. Russian holding UGMK owns 51 percent of the Aircraft Industries’ shares, and the remaining 49 percent are owned by the Czech company PAMCO INT.

With reporting by NYCAviation

About the Author

BNO News


Brandon Pelletier urinates at LAX.

Video (NSFW): Drunken Twilight Star Pees In The Middle Of LAX Terminal

Here's an actor named Bronson Pelletier whipping it out and peeing on the rug in front of hundred of LAX passengers late last month.
by admin

iPadfellas. (Photos by Martin Scorcese and Apple. Composite by NYCAviation)

iGoodfellas: $1.5 Million in iPads Stolen From JFK [Updated]

About 3,600 Apple iPad Minis were stolen from the same JFK Airport warehouse in which the infamous Lufthansa Heist took place 34 years ago.
by admin


An Omni Air International Boeing 767-200ER (N234AX) at JFK Terminal 4. (Photo by Kaz T.)

Omni Air Pilot Arrested After Seattle Carjacking

An Omni Air pilot was arrested Saturday night after carjacking a man in front of a Seattle hotel.
by admin

One American 757 lands at St. Maarten while another taxis for departure. (Photo by Mario J. Craig)

American Airlines Baggage Handlers Took Apart Planes to Hide Drugs

A former American Airlines baggage handler was sentenced to three life sentences for running a drug smuggling ring out of JFK.
by admin

A Kingfisher Airlines Airbus A320 (VT-KEG) taxis at Bangalore. (Photo by marirs via wikipedia, CC-BY-SA)

Kingfisher Owner Faces Arrest Over $2 Million in Bounced Checks

An arrest warrant has been issued in Hyderabad for billionaire Vijay Mallya.
by admin