Aviation News

October 31, 2011

Qantas Resumes Flights After Court Orders End to Shutdown

More articles by »
Written by: BNO News
Tags: , ,

Australian airline Qantas on Monday resumed all its domestic and international flights after a court ordered an immediate end to all industrial action which left tens of thousands of people stranded.

Qantas Boeing 787 Dreamliner

Qantas Boeing 787 Dreamliner. (Image by Boeing)

A dispute over wages and job security between unions and Qantas has been escalating since August when the airline announced its intention to focus on Asia and move away from the North Atlantic which had been the airline’s traditional market.

The dispute came to a dramatic standoff on Saturday when Qantas grounded its entire fleet, leaving more than 68,000 passengers stranded. But Fair Work Australia on Monday ordered an immediate end to all industrial action, ensuring flights would resume.

“It is ordered that all protected industrial action in relation to any or all of the proposed agreements [..] be terminated with immediate effect,” the Australian workplace relations tribunal said in its ruling. The order is binding for both Qantas Airways and the unions.

Qantas CEO Alan Joyce welcomed the ruling. “This is a good outcome that will enable us to begin operating flights this afternoon on a limited schedule with the approval of the regulator, CASA,” he said. “Operations will resume progressively from this afternoon. Our focus is bringing our schedule back to normal as soon as possible. Safety will remain our first priority at all times.”

As a result of the court ruling, there will now be a period of 21 days during which no industrial action is allowed to take place and both parties can negotiate. If no agreement is reached during this period, binding arbitration will take place under the control of Fair Work Australia.

“The industrial process has now passed into the hands of the independent umpire. All parties will be treated equally and we will respect the decisions that are made,” Joyce said. “We look forward to a rapid recovery and to a period of stability enabling us to focus on our customers and our strategy for the airline.”

Australian Council of Trade Unions (ACTU) Secretary Jeff Lawrence welcomed Joyce’s announcement that all flights will resume. “For two days, Qantas has held the Australian public to ransom. There were plenty of choices available to Qantas, but grounding its airlines was not necessary,” he said.

Lawrence added: “Tens of thousands of people have had their travel plans disrupted, and the economic loss caused by Mr Joyce’s single-handed action has been immense. The damage to Qantas’ and Australia’s reputation is immeasurable.”

The ACTU Secretary said the unions are fighting to keep good jobs in Australia. “Unions genuinely want to reach agreement, and we expect Qantas management to take a reasonable approach to negotiations, as opposed to its behavior until now,” he said.



About the Author

BNO News





 
 

 

Qantas Swings Back Into Profit After An Aggressive Restructuring

After a number of dark years for the airline's finances, things are finally starting to look up for Qantas as they have begun to return to profitability.
by Zina Aziz
0

 
 

Is Qantas Really the Safest Airline?

Qantas history is scarred by at least seven fatal incidents prior to 1951, and the carrier has been perfect ever since. Its record is an outstanding one.
by Patrick Smith
0

 

 

August 6th in Aviation History: B-29 Superfortress Drops Atomic Bomb on Hiroshima

The US drops first atomic bomb on Japan, Ted Williams returns to the Red Sox from Korea, Braniff Flight 250 crashes in Nebraska, and more.
by NYCAviation Staff

 
 
Pan Am's Dixie Clipper (NC18605) carried President Franklin D. Roosevelt to Casablanca. (Photo by Pan Am)

January 14th in Aviation History: FDR Becomes First President To Fly

President Franklin Delano Roosevelt boards a plane for Morocco, a fire on the deck of carrier USS Enterprise kills 27 sailors, and more...
by NYCAviation Staff

 
 
The number 2 engine of VH-OQA, which sustained an uncontained failure

Australian Transport Safety Bureau Releases Final Qantas Flight 32 Report

The Australian Transport Safety Bureau on Thursday released their final report into the Qantas A380 uncontained engine failure over Indonesia on November 4, 2010. The 305 page report gives a full account of the major incident, ...
by Jason Rabinowitz
1