The Logbook: TSA Luggage Powder Planting…Just Kidding!
• “Is this your bag of coke? j/k LMAO!1!!11!” What better way to ease the tension while going through security gates where a failed terror plot occurred? Scare passengers of course! A TSA agent is no longer employed by the agency after grilling a passenger on a bag with a white substance, and then claiming he was just kidding. The 22-year-old woman was, of course, traumatized. [Philly.com]
• US Airways Flight 2495 departing out of Charleston, West Virginia, aborted its takeoff on Tuesday and was brought to a safe stop thanks to the arrestor system at the end of the runway. The CRJ-200 (N246PS) was caught by the Engineered Materials Arrestor System (EMAS) caught the aircraft and its 31 passengers. This is the eighth “save” the brittle concrete platform has made in its 14-year existence.
• Travel and Leisure has named the most beautiful airports around, with honorable mention going to Chicago O’Hare’s United Airlines terminal, JFK’s former-TWA terminal and Denver International.
• Chartis Insurance is listing N106US for sale! For those who don’t know, that is the virtually destroyed Airbus A320 from US Airways Flight 1549 that went for a swim in the Hudson River. The high-resolution, browser-crashing photos make one wonder what anyone would want to do with it. Intrepid! Museum piece please! [AIG Aviation]
• Emirates has announced their plans to bring the A380 back to JFK sometime in the second half of the year. Their restarting of the service that ended in June was replaced by a Boeing 777-300. No exact date has been shared for the re-emergence. [Reuters]
• A Gulfstream 200 played Slip-N-Slide at Teterboro airport today, skidded off of the runway and resting in the mud. None of the 3 passenger on-board were hurt. [WCBS]
• Delta is purchasing 11 MD-90s from China Eastern, which would raise their total count of the type to 28. The more-efficient MD-80 variant carries 150 seats and is a more affordable option than buying a new 737, a Delta Spokesman said. [AJC]