The Logbook: Delta, Delta, and More Delta
• Delta also, starting in June of 2010, will be using Boeing 757s and Airbus A330s to fly from both San Diego and Detroit to Hawaii. They currently have 106 flights out of Hawaii that connect them with 9 destinations.
• Mo’ Delta news; after announcing a possible codeshare with V Australia this past summer, say they are now awaiting US Department of Transportation approval and are expecting to begin the deal sometime in the middle of next year (2010, for those who don’t have calendars nearby). [FlightGlobal]
• El Al Israel Airlines is looking for a codeshare partner in the United States. Already having one with American Airlines, they are eager to expand their global profile with other carriers as well. [Reuters]
• “We’re being hijacked…..J/K!” A Kingfisher A330 flying from Honk Kong to Mumbai accidentally squawked that they were being hijacked (7500) instead of their intention to indication loss of communication (7600). They were able to correct their error with minimal interruption and continued on to their destination. [AvHerald]
• Not to be out-done by fellow Indian fake-squawk, a Jet Airways 737 check pilot intentionally pulled a circuit breaker while on approach to Mumbai…just to see how the First Officer would handle an emergency situation. The incident, which actually occurred in October but has not been reported until today, caused the auto-pilot and flight director both to fail, and the Ground Proximity Warning System to alarm. The plane began to descend in excess of 1,000fpm, but the Captain was able to take full control and land the aircraft safely. [TimesOfIndia]